Gravity on a Moving Train: More or Less?

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of gravity needed to stand on the side of a train like Spider-Man did in the movie. While the moon has less gravity, it also lacks the stopping force that would keep someone from falling off. Therefore, it would be easier to stand on the side of a train with less gravity.
chrisrazzano
I was just wondering while watching Spider-Man 2 ..
Would you need MORE or LESS gravity than the standard of 9.8 m/s2 in order to stand on the side of a train like he did? I want to say less like the moon, but I feel like on the moon you don't stop moving and would keep rotating. So would you need more or less?

Physics news on Phys.org
chrisrazzano said:
I was just wondering while watching Spider-Man 2 ..
Would you need MORE or LESS gravity than the standard of 9.8 m/s2 in order to stand on the side of a train like he did? I want to say less like the moon, but I feel like on the moon you don't stop moving and would keep rotating. So would you need more or less?

I don't recall the scene. Was there rotation involved?

The short answer: if you want to not fall off something, it would be a lot easier to do if you weighed less.

What is the concept of "Gravity on a Moving Train: More or Less?"

The concept of "Gravity on a Moving Train: More or Less" refers to the change in the force of gravity experienced by objects on a moving train. This phenomenon is due to the combination of the train's motion and the Earth's gravitational pull.

Does gravity increase or decrease on a moving train?

The force of gravity remains constant on a moving train. However, the perceived weight of objects may change due to the train's acceleration or deceleration.

How does the direction of the train affect gravity?

The direction of the train does not affect the force of gravity. However, if the train is accelerating or decelerating, the perceived weight of objects may change in relation to the direction of the train's motion.

What factors can influence the perception of gravity on a moving train?

The perception of gravity on a moving train can be influenced by the train's speed, acceleration, and direction of motion. It can also be affected by the individual's position and orientation in relation to the train's movement.

Is the force of gravity the same for all objects on a moving train?

Yes, the force of gravity is the same for all objects on a moving train. However, the perceived weight of objects may vary due to the effects of the train's motion and the individual's position.