1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity on the height of 12740 km ?

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So the problem I have is calculating the gravity acceleration on the height of 12740km or 2 times the radial distance of Earth. The problem is relatively simple and I think that I have it right but the result doesn't match with the book.

## g_0=9,81 \frac {m}{s^2} ##
    ##R=6370km ##
    ## h=R=6370km ##
    2. Relevant equations
    ## g = g_0 \frac{R^2}{(R+h)^2} ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well given that I have everything except ## g ## I could have just put everything in and be done with it. I went with canceling out the symbols and got ## g = \frac {g_0}{2} ## This resulted in 4.905. When calculating everything the result was 2.4525. The result specified in the book is 1,09 m/s^2. I'm really confused :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

A height is a distance above the Earth's surface. You're given a height of 2R, so the radial distance is 3R...

4. Feb 8, 2015 #3
    I must have explained it badly. The height given is 1R

EDIT: The title is wrong, sorry..

5. Feb 8, 2015 #4

gneill

That would make the book's answer incorrect...

6. Feb 8, 2015 #5
    But what about the double answer I got ? One is 4.905 the other 2.4525 ? Kinda weird that the the other is 2x smaller than the first :P

7. Feb 8, 2015 #6

gneill

Can you show your algebraic steps for your attempt by cancellation?

8. Feb 8, 2015 #7
    Never mind, after another try at the calculation I got that 2.4525 is correct, thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted