1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity Question (I think) with mass and speed

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    So here is the theory question that I have to understand so that I can eventually solve the actual question.

A body with a mass of X tonnes is moving at Y Ln/h. What would the vertical height of that body be before coming to rest.

I'm presuming that this is a gravity question.

Now I'm using SI so I know to convert the mass to kg and the Length/Time to m/s.

After that, I don't quite get how I could figure out at what point in the air the mass goes before gravity brings it to a stand still.

Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

moving vertically?
    ... draw the velocity-time graph of the motion - you know initial and final speeds, you don't know the time so just leave it as a variable T. What shape is the graph? What kind of motion is this? In general - if you want to understand the motion, draw the graph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook