Gravity's opposition to accleration

• Thread starter cbaechle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accleration
In summary, the pneumatic launching device will shoot projectiles vertically. The projectiles will accelerate downward at a rate of 9.8 meters per second.
cbaechle
I'm creating a pneumatic launching device to shoot projectiles vertically. I guess the closest thing to compare it to would be a regular gun. Once it leaves the barrel, it will be in a constant state of deceleration until it reaches its peak (no additional thrust provided).

Ignoring frictional losses, is there a systematic way to calculate the projectiles rate of deceleration? Does the weight matter (i.e. will a tennis ball and a bowling ball decelerate at the same rate)? Does the exit speed matter?

Ideally I would like to take a projectile, knowing the force provided by the pneumatic actuator and the weight of the projectile, calculate exactly how high the projectile will go. Then once I've mastered calculating it in a frictionless environment, put it in a wind tunnel and calculate losses due to friction.

Also, just a general question somewhat related, in an environment with friction, will it take the exact same amount of time to reach ground-to-peak as peak-to-ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
cbaechle said:
Ignoring frictional losses, is there a systematic way to calculate the projectiles rate of deceleration? Does the weight matter (i.e. will a tennis ball and a bowling ball decelerate at the same rate)? Does the exit speed matter?
Yes - they will accelerate downward at 9.8m/s^2.

No weight doens't matter. Yes, the tennis ball and hte bowling ball will fall at the same rate - as per Galileo's experiment in the Leaning Tower.

No, not for acceleration.

cbaechle said:
Also, just a general question somewhat related, in an environment with friction, will it take the exact same amount of time to reach ground-to-peak as peak-to-ground?
With friction? No. It will take longer on the way down.

Last edited:
Ideally I would like to take a projectile, knowing the force provided by the pneumatic actuator and the weight of the projectile, calculate exactly how high the projectile will go. Then once I've mastered calculating it in a frictionless environment, put it in a wind tunnel and calculate losses due to friction.
You will not need the weight of the projectile, but the mass. Here is a simulator:
http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/109N/more_stuff/Applets/ProjectileMotion/jarapplet.html
In addition, I think you need to read up on projectile motion to get a grasp on things such as maximum height and so on.
http://id.mind.net/~zona/mstm/physics/mechanics/curvedMotion/projectileMotion/generalSolution/generalSolution.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that calculator used mass and that's fine since mass and weight are proportional (close to earth), but really since drag is a force, you need weight. Here's the drag equation: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/drageq.html -- just add a +w on the end of it. And heck, for this limited purpose, you can even make your own psuedo-Cd by dropping all the other variables into it for simplicity, ending up with: D = Cd*V^2 + w

[edit] You can always keep the two acceleration terms separate until you get to the acceleration equation (which is what you are really looking for) and just say a = D/m + 9.8 (is that what you were getting at, ranger?)

Also, if you are going to be measuring drag in a wind tunnel, then life is easy - using the drag equation, you can easily calculate the drag coefficient and plug it back into a spreadsheet for numeric integration of the trajectory.

Also, in an impulse situation, force can be a tricky thing to use. If you can make it this simple, you can start with a pressure and initial and final volume of gas, calculate the pressure when the ball exits, take the average and multiply by area to get force. Then with force and distance, you can find the acceleration/exit velocity. These things can get iffy in an impulse situation, though, depending on the particulars of the canon.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info! I haven't studied physics since high school and it's difficult getting all the information you provided if you don't know where to start. It looks like NASA has a whole slew of information so I'll be very busy the next few days on their site.

1. What is "Gravity's opposition to acceleration"?

Gravity's opposition to acceleration is a concept in physics that explains how gravity counteracts the effects of acceleration. This is known as the principle of equivalence, which states that the force of gravity is indistinguishable from the force of acceleration.

2. How does gravity oppose acceleration?

Gravity opposes acceleration by exerting a force on objects that are accelerating, such as when a ball is thrown into the air. This force is known as weight, and it is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity. This force pushes in the opposite direction of the acceleration, creating a balance.

3. Why is gravity's opposition to acceleration important?

Understanding gravity's opposition to acceleration is important because it helps us explain and predict the behavior of objects in our universe. It also allows us to understand why objects fall towards the Earth, and why we feel weightless when in freefall.

4. Can gravity's opposition to acceleration be observed in everyday life?

Yes, gravity's opposition to acceleration can be observed in everyday life. For example, when you jump off a diving board, you feel weightless for a brief moment before gravity pulls you back towards the ground. This is because your acceleration due to gravity is equal to the force of gravity acting on you.

5. How does Einstein's theory of relativity relate to gravity's opposition to acceleration?

Einstein's theory of relativity explains gravity as the bending of space and time by massive objects. This means that the force of gravity is not actually a force, but rather a result of the curvature of spacetime. This concept is consistent with the principle of equivalence, as it shows that gravity and acceleration are fundamentally the same thing.