GRE Physics Prep for non-physicist

In summary, if you are a nuclear engineering major and want to apply to a medical physics program, you should review what you already know and try to prepare for the physics GRE subject test by studying the first few subjects from your engineering program.
Uranium
Hello again,

I'm planning on apply to a few medical physics programs in the fall, most of which do not require the physics GRE subject test. However, one does, and I really want to apply there. My thoughts? It wouldn't hurt to learn some more physics. I am a nuclear engineering major, so I would have a good ways to go to be able to be competitive on the test, but what are some good things to look at in preparation for it. Does it seem like a something I can do? I know that people spend 4+ years studying physics have a hard time with the test, so I am a bit intimidated, but I can at least give it a shot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will be difficult to cram in an undergraduate education in a few months. What you can do, though, is review what you already know so you won't lose any points that you really shouldn't.

A large portion of the PGRE is from the first few subjects you'd have in a physics program. I'm sure they were part of your engineering program as well. I'd make sure you're confident in all of that material.
A few good educated guesses on the other topics and a solid score on the subjects you should have a background for would amount to a fairly decent score. I don't know how that score will compare to students that have had the full physics background though (or how much it will matter in medical physics if you have a solid "medical" background)

As an engineering major have you taken
Thermodynamics
Statistical Mechanics
E&M
Mechanics ie. Physics I

If you have, all you would need to do for quantum
is a very rough understanding of the first few
chapters Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths
and sadly that might be overpreparation for the Quantum part.

1. What is the purpose of GRE Physics Prep for non-physicists?

The purpose of GRE Physics Prep for non-physicists is to provide a comprehensive review of the basic concepts and principles of physics, as well as essential mathematical skills required for the Physics GRE exam. It is designed specifically for individuals who do not have a background in physics but are planning to take the GRE Physics subject test.

2. Who should consider using GRE Physics Prep for non-physicists?

Anyone who is planning to take the GRE Physics subject test but does not have a background in physics should consider using GRE Physics Prep for non-physicists. It is ideal for individuals who have not studied physics since high school or college and need a refresher before taking the exam.

3. What topics are covered in GRE Physics Prep for non-physicists?

GRE Physics Prep for non-physicists covers all the major topics that are included in the GRE Physics subject test, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It also includes a review of essential mathematical skills such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.

4. How is GRE Physics Prep for non-physicists structured?

GRE Physics Prep for non-physicists is structured into chapters that correspond to the different topics covered on the GRE Physics subject test. Each chapter includes a review of the relevant concepts, practice problems with detailed explanations, and additional practice questions to reinforce understanding. The book also includes two full-length practice tests to help students assess their progress and identify areas for improvement.

5. Can GRE Physics Prep for non-physicists help me achieve a high score on the GRE Physics subject test?

While GRE Physics Prep for non-physicists is a valuable resource for individuals without a background in physics, it is not a substitute for thorough preparation and study. It is designed to provide a comprehensive review and practice for the exam, but it is ultimately up to the individual to put in the time and effort to achieve a high score. With diligent use of this resource and additional study, it can certainly help students achieve their desired score on the GRE Physics subject test.