Prep for GRE Physics Test: Serway & Jewette vs Halliday & Resnick

• Testing
  • Thread starter Mohammad Ahmad4040
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the person is asking for a list of books that will help them prepare for the GRE physics test.
Mohammad Ahmad4040
hi there, i am going to study for GRE Physics test .
i want anyone to guide me for an easy book for that .
and i want to know which of this 2 books is more related to the gre test
- physics for scientists and engineers by Serway & Jewette
- fundamental of physics by Halliday & Resnick

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither. Those are 1st year books. The GRE is normally taken by people with several years more experience.
As was pointed out before, a degree in agriculture does not prepare you for graduate work in physics.

Ok . thank you for your encouragement .
Now i really love that way of life and i want to change my career to be a physicist .
What should i do ?
you can give me an advice . or tell me which books i should study to be as good as possible to have a good score on that Gre.

What a bout that linke
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/undergrad/ugs_gre.php
they are telling us to study from Halliday's book.
Is that ok ?

Materials for the GRE Prep course: The following materials are suggestion to aid your studying:
  • Purchase a copy of "The Physics Companion" by A.C. Fischer-Cripps. This is available via amazon.com for about $20.00. (SPS does have some of these available to loan)
  • Physics by Halliday and Resnick. Any edition. If you don't have this available to you, any introductory textbook will work.
That's it.

In another thread you started, your stated goal was to pursue an MS in Physics. This doesn't seem at all realistic to me, as your undergrad degree is in Agriculture. My advice is to take all of the undergraduate physics classes before attempting a masters' program in that discipline.

Likes Orson
You really think you can handle an MS in physics with only knowing the contents of Halliday? Sure, maybe you'll pass the GRE, but that's nothing compared to what awaits you in a MS.

Also, I would try to invest some time every day to fix your English. If you're from a foreign country, you will need to pass the TOEFL, which seems pretty challenging in you case.

Mohammad Ahmad4040 said:
Materials for the GRE Prep course: The following materials are suggestion to aid your studying:
  • Purchase a copy of "The Physics Companion" by A.C. Fischer-Cripps. This is available via amazon.com for about $20.00. (SPS does have some of these available to loan)
  • Physics by Halliday and Resnick. Any edition. If you don't have this available to you, any introductory textbook will work.
That's it.

If I remember right, about 70~80% of the problems on the PGRE are freshmen/sophomore level questions, thus the recommendation to use an intro book to help you study. (Of which, info in physics volume 1 and 2 may help you solve 30~40%) The other questions come from a variety of junior/senior level coursework(sometimes in specialties even physics majors don't do an entire course in), which you'd be at a total loss of.

If by some miracle you scored an amazing mark on the exam (you won't), there's still zero chance you'd be admitted without some kind of stipulation you complete a slew of remedial classes. Even then, basically, no one is going to admit you because of the above.

Since arigculture and physics don't really have any overlap in course work, you're going to need to pretty much do a second bachelor's degree if you really want to pursue this.

Last edited:
I'm going to second the above comments.

Source: Went to mediocre school, learned only enough physics for the physics GRE, now dying in grad school.

Likes Orson
Can anyone of you tell me
the best books for PGre and
i will study them whatever it takes.

Oh well, if you'll just ignore everything we say: just study Halliday.

Likes Larry Gopnik and Student100
Mohammad Ahmad4040 said:
Can anyone of you tell me
the best books for PGre and
i will study them whatever it takes.

Reguardless of what you get on the PGRE you're not going to be admitted to a graduate program.

This is about as explicit as one can be.

Student100 said:
Reguardless of what you get on the PGRE you're not going to be admitted to a graduate program.
I know that i will try after it to study the all undergraduate p books my self
that's why i am asking for help.
i am asking from you to give me alist of biiks with authores for what i should study
i have a jop and i have a lot of time and i want to use it to study the whole undergraduate physics books.

Mohammad Ahmad4040 said:

That won't impress any grad program. They simply don't care what you studied yourself.

micromass said:
Oh well, if you'll just ignore everything we say: just study Halliday

What else?
I have a lot of time give me p books and mathematics books that is important for that

micromass said:
That won't impress any grad program. They simply don't care what you studied yourself.
I completey understand that i am just like that .
Iam going to do it any way
so can you help for that?!

Mohammad Ahmad4040 said:
Sure, finish Halliday. Then study Kleppner and Kolenkow mechanics together with Morin mechanics. Once you're done with that, ask again.

Likes Mohammad Ahmad4040
Mohammad Ahmad4040 said:

So you completely understand that you will not be considered for admission to graduate school and are just learning for fun? Then yes, Halliday is a good starting point.

Mohammad Ahmad4040 said:
What else?
I have a lot of time

That's not a true statement for anyone.

Mohammad Ahmad4040 said:
that's why i am asking for help.
i am asking from you to give me alist of biiks with authores for what i should study
i have a jop and i have a lot of time and i want to use it to study the whole undergraduate physics books.

What's the reason for not wanting to get a second bachelor's? It's the only way you have a chance to actually do this.

What's also true is that even if you learn every single thing that a typical undergraduate physics student learns, you will still not be admitted to graduate school. What is unclear about this?

Student100 said:
What's the reason for not wanting to get a second bachelor's?
I did all what i can do to get into an academic study but they refused because the egyptian dam rules.
so i don't want to give up .
i will try my best to have any scholarship even for undergraduate.
thank you all for your advices

I ment by academic the undergraduate study

Mohammad Ahmad4040 said:
I did all what i can do to get into an academic study but they refused because the egyptian dam rules.
so i don't want to give up .
i will try my best to have any scholarship even for undergraduate.
thank you all for your advices
Aswan High Dam?

As suggested, you will need to brush up on your English.

Orson said:
Aswan High Dam?

1. What is the difference between Serway & Jewett and Halliday & Resnick for GRE Physics preparation?

Serway & Jewett and Halliday & Resnick are two popular textbooks used for GRE Physics preparation. While both cover similar topics and concepts, there are some key differences between the two. Serway & Jewett focuses more on conceptual explanations and problem-solving techniques, while Halliday & Resnick provides a more mathematical approach and includes more challenging problems. Additionally, Halliday & Resnick is a longer and more comprehensive textbook compared to Serway & Jewett.

2. Which textbook is more suitable for beginners in GRE Physics?

For beginners, Serway & Jewett may be a better option as it provides more detailed explanations and simpler problems to start with. However, Halliday & Resnick can also be a good choice for those who have a strong background in physics or are comfortable with mathematical concepts.

3. Are there any specific topics that are covered differently in these two textbooks?

While the overall topics covered in both textbooks are similar, there are some variations in the depth and approach of certain topics. For example, Serway & Jewett may cover certain topics in more detail and provide more examples, while Halliday & Resnick may cover the same topics in a more concise manner but include more challenging problems.

4. Which textbook is more recommended by GRE Physics test takers?

This can vary depending on personal preferences and study styles. Some test takers may prefer Serway & Jewett for its simpler explanations and easier problems, while others may prefer Halliday & Resnick for its comprehensive coverage and more challenging problems. It is recommended to try out both textbooks and see which one works better for you.

5. Can these textbooks be used as the sole resource for GRE Physics preparation?

While these textbooks are popular and widely used for GRE Physics preparation, it is not recommended to solely rely on them. It is important to also supplement your study with practice tests, online resources, and other study materials to get a well-rounded understanding of the concepts and prepare effectively for the exam.