Greatest mathematician of the 20th century

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mathematician

Who do you consider the best mathematician of the previous century?

  • Banach

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Connes

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Deligne

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Erdos

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Godel

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Grothendieck

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Hausdorff

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Hilbert

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Kolmogorov

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Lebesgue

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Nash

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Noether

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Perelman

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Ramanujan

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Von Neumann

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Weil

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Weyl

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Wiles

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • The Mythbusters

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Other/Nobody

    Votes: 3 12.0%

  • Total voters
    25
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
20 replies · 10K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
22,170
Reaction score
3,335
Inspired by the other poll on the physicists, I decided to make a poll on the best mathematician of the 20the century. Only a bit more serious...

Now, since you can only select 20 poll options, it was inevitable that some great minds were left out. I tried to include as many disciplines as possible and I tried to include some popular names.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Mythbusters, duh. They have the most results...:rolleyes:

:smile:

Godel votes for whomever is not on your list.

Of course, this implies that mathematicians can be great...
 
Never bring that thread up again, lest that whole mess get started anew...
 
micromass said:
I really don't understand why people are arguing about the silly thing...

Welcome to the Internet. We hope you will enjoy your stay. Please be advised you may encounter materials that are nonsensical, offensive, or just stupid. Really stupid. Additionally, you run the risk of coming across content that is actually useful and/or intelligent. In the event this occurs, please turn off your computing device immediately and watch network television for three consecutive hours to remove this useful information. Grief counseling is available at this number: (555)-793-7319.
 
Perhaps the greatest physicist could settle the DDWFTTW thread. :smile:

Yeah, I know...I shouldn't have brought that one up either. But sometimes I just can't help myself. :devil:
 
Or the "If your so smart" thread in general physics...
 
I contributed a little to that thread (I think) but people keep making new threads. It won't die.
 
It's like apples and oranges .. I don't know how you can tell this mathematician is greater than that mathematician.

I am math illiterate and I don't watch Mythbusters so I cannot pick any!
 
Ooh, let's send
48/2(9+3)
into the Mythbusters!
 
micromass said:
I really don't understand why people are arguing about the silly thing...
I will attempt to explain:
Side 1 "We're right they're wrong!"
Side 2 "We're right they're wrong!"
 
FtlIsAwesome said:
I will attempt to explain:
Side 1 "We're right they're wrong!"
Side 2 "We're right they're wrong!"

It's more like

Side 1 "These are the mathematical rules which we have worked with for centuries"
Side 2 "Screw the rules, I want implicit multiplication, whatever it means"
 
micromass said:
It's more like

Side 1 "These are the mathematical rules which we have worked with for centuries"
Side 2 "Screw the rules, I want implicit multiplication, whatever it means"
Don't push me! :biggrin:
I'm trying to stay neutral/unknown on the subject.
 
The greatest mathematician is the one who gets the most votes.

I am voting for the greatest mathematician.

Therefore I am voting for the mathematician with the most votes.

However, to begin each mathematician has zero votes, and so I can never make a choice.

Therefore there is no greatest mathematician.

(i know that was really really weak but I'm not as clever as some of you :frown:)
 
If we go by number of papers published, the answer is clear...
 
jhae2.718 said:
If we go by number of papers published, the answer is clear...

I foresee a discussion about who's more important - theory-builders or problem-solvers...

I took the question as "greatest mathematician by natural ability (or talent)" and therefore voted Ramanujan. Unthinkable what he could have done if he'd stayed alive longer.

Of mathematician who actually lived to do their work, without a doubt in my mind, it's Hilbert, not least because of his impact on physics (while not actually being one).