Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green Function approach is more physical?

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1
    Hey folks,

I'm not really sure which forum to put this question in but I figured this was probably the best as it deals with issues of regularization.

I'm reading Miltons 'The Casimir Effect'. In chapter one he derives the Casimir energy for a massless scalar field by employing dimensional regularization. He then goes on in the next section to derive the same result using a Green function approach which he claims is "...a physical and rigorous approach".

From this sentence it appears that he favors the Green function approach over Dim reg. Is this a general 'feeling' in the physics community? That Green functions are somehow superior to Dim Reg? Also, why should this be 'physical'?

I hope this question makes sense.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I do have the feeling that Greens functions are more physical than dimensional regularization. That is, I can very well imagine the physical meaning of a propagator, but I don't really have intuition for [itex]4 + \epsilon[/itex] dimensions with [itex]\epsilon \in \mathbb{C}[/itex].
    I can't remember seeing Greens functions being used for regularization though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?