Green LED in liquid nitrogen turns yellow

In summary, an orange LED turns green when the band gap opens up, but a green LED does not. This could be explained by the different properties of the materials, but it is still an unexplained phenomenon.
Physics2.0
Hi,

While experimenting with various LED's in LN2, I noticed some strange behaviour from my green LED's.
As expected all LED's (except the green one's) emitted light with a shorter wavelenth (for instance, my yellow led turned to red etc). However, my 2 (different manufacturer type LED) green LED's turned yellow'ish in liquid nitrogen. At first I thought this had to do with some property of the LED, but the second green LED showed the same shift (to a higher wavelength).

I've thought about this a lot, but I can't think of any reason why the green LED's don't turn blue'ish. Any suggestions how to tackle this (for me still unsolved) mistery?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics2.0 said:
As expected all LED's (except the green one's) emitted light with a shorter wavelenth (for instance, my yellow led turned to red etc).

Is that a typo? The red part of the em spectrum is at longer wavelengths than the yellowish part.

Besides that: Nitrogen should not absorb much in the visible, so I guess it is indeed a property of the LED. Do you know some details about the LED? Is there some kind of cavity involved? Are there any localization effects which may play a role at low temperature?

And have you actually measured the intensities or do you judge by eye? The eye is very sensitive in the green, but not really in the UV.

What you describe (orange to red and green to yellow) is a shortening of wavelength, in both cases.
This means an increase of energy. It show that the band gap increases when you decrease the temperature.

However it may go the other way, too, in some types of LEDs, I believe.

Physics2.0 said:
Hi,
While experimenting with various LED's in LN2, I noticed some strange behaviour from my green LED's.

Both the peak frequency and spectral width of (solid state) electroluminescence vary with temperature. Under the conditions of weak injection (weak biasing), the peak emission frequency hω= E + kT/2, where E is the bandgap energy, k is Boltzman's constant, h is Planck's constant, and T the temperature. The spectral width Δω≈ 1.8kT/h.

Note, the peak emission is limited by the gap energy.

nasu said:
What you describe (orange to red and green to yellow) is a shortening of wavelength, in both cases.
This means an increase of energy.

I thought red is the longest of the visible, so orange to red should mean lengthening, or decreasing the energy. Say, 590 nm to 620 nm.

What am I missing?

Yes, you are right. It's my mistake completely. Thank you for pointing this out.
I cannot edit my earlier message now.:cry:

Last edited:
I wondered about similar thing, if it's a good idea to raise this old thread.

Putting red, UV or blue LED in LN does not change their colour visibly.
White LED stops working.

But green LED turns orange.

Videos i seen of that show an orange LED turn green - an opposite direction to my green one turning orange.
The videos explain it as band gap changing, resulting in higher-energy light, i.e. here - http://www.ap.smu.ca/demos/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=181&Itemid=78

However, that is not the case with a green LED.
What is going on there?

What is the phenomenon of a green LED turning yellow when placed in liquid nitrogen?

The phenomenon of a green LED turning yellow when placed in liquid nitrogen is known as "Widening of Bandgap". When the LED is exposed to extremely low temperatures, the energy gap between the valence and conduction bands increases, causing the color of the LED to shift from green to yellow.

Why does a green LED turn yellow in liquid nitrogen?

A green LED turns yellow in liquid nitrogen due to the change in the energy bandgap. When the LED is cooled to such low temperatures, the electrons in the valence band lose energy, causing them to shift to the conduction band. This results in a change in the wavelength of light emitted, causing the LED to appear yellow instead of green.

Is the change in color of the LED permanent?

No, the change in color of the LED is not permanent. Once the LED is removed from the liquid nitrogen and returns to room temperature, the energy bandgap returns to its original state, and the LED will emit green light again.

Can this phenomenon be observed with other types of LEDs?

Yes, this phenomenon can be observed with other types of LEDs as well. However, the change in color may vary depending on the material used in the LED and the temperature at which it is exposed to liquid nitrogen.

Is there any practical application of this phenomenon?

This phenomenon has been studied and used in the development of optoelectronic devices. It has also been used in the field of nanotechnology to better understand the properties of materials at low temperatures. However, it does not have any significant practical application in everyday life.