Green Liquid Leaked from CT Secondary Terminal Board of 132 kV GIS

• Thread starter Suri
  • Start date
Hye everyone!

An unknown thick-and-sticky green liquid was found leaked from 2 out of 9 feeders, of our 132 kV Switchgear. The liquid was leaked through the cable gland that connected to the Secondary Terminal Board insulating cap of the Current Transformer, at the GIS.

I had done:
1) gas leak test - no gas leakage detected
2) hotspot test using thermography camera - no hotspot.

According to our chargeman, around 6-7 years ago, there is a case when they found out that inside the CT secondary terminal board, there was cracks. And all CT secondary board for all feeders was then replaced.

I just wondered if the same thing happened. Or the green liquid was just a kind of grease or softener for the cable.

Hopefully someone can help me. Thank you!!!

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
It is probably insulating oil with some kind of preservative.

rbelli1

Gold Member
I have had cases where the vinyl or plasticizers reacted with the copper and created a dark green sticky substance. In one case it was clear insulation and I could see the fouling all along the cable.

BoB

Tom.G

Science Advisor
I have had cases where the vinyl or plasticizers reacted with the copper and created a dark green sticky substance. In one case it was clear insulation and I could see the fouling all along the cable.
I have also experienced that corrosion in ordinary lamp cord with clear vinyl insulation. Annoying!

phyzguy

Science Advisor
I would be careful. Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were widely used as insulating fluids in electrical equipment for many years. Wikipedia says, "One estimate (2006) suggested that 1 million tonnes of PCBs had been produced. 40% of this material was thought to remain in use. Another estimate put the total global production of PCBs on the order of 1.5 million tonnes. The United States was the single largest producer with over 600,000 tonnes produced between 1930 and 1977. The European region follows with nearly 450,000 tonnes through 1984."

These things are toxic. I would get it tested before you come in contact with it, if it's not too late.