Green's function and density of states

In summary, Mingo discusses the Green's function for the end atom of a one dimensional lattice chain in his book chapter "Green’s Function Methods for Phonon Transport Through Nano-Contacts". He provides the Green's function as well as the spectral density of states, but the latter cannot be derived from the former. The author then attempts to find the spectral density by using the standard representation of the spectral density of states, but encounters issues due to the branch cut along the negative real axis. Ultimately, the limit of the difference between the two square roots goes to zero, leading to the question of what could be incorrect in the approach.
Karthiksrao
Dear all,

In his book chapter " Green’s Function Methods for Phonon Transport Through Nano-Contacts", Mingo arrives at the Green's function for the end atom of a one dimensional lattice chain (each atom modeled as a mass connected to neighbouring atoms through springs). He gives the green function as

## G = \frac{2}{\omega^2 + \sqrt{\omega^4 + 4 k \omega^2}} ##

From this the intention is to find the spectral density of states. He directly gives it as

## \rho = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \frac{\sqrt{\omega^4 + 4 k \omega^2}}{2 k \omega^2} ##.

I have not been able to show this.

Earlier in the chapter he uses the standard representation for the spectral density of states as
## G - G^* = 2 \pi \rho ##.

Using this I attempted the following way. Let ## \omega^2 = z ## (he had used such a representation earlier, hence I tried this), which gives:

## G(z) = \frac{2}{z + \sqrt{z^2 + 4 k z}} ##

which can also be written as:

## G(z) = \frac{ z - \sqrt{z^2 + 4 k z}}{- 2 k z} ##

Because of the ## \sqrt{z}## factor there is a branch cut along negative real axis. That's probably the only reason why ## G - G^*## would have a non-negative value - since there would be a non-zero difference in the values across the branch cut.

So what we need is :
## \lim_{\delta \rightarrow 0} G(z+ i \delta) - G(z - i \delta) ##

This gives:

## \rho = \lim_{\delta \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \frac{ \sqrt{1 + \frac{4 k}{z+ i \delta}} - 1}{ 2 k } - \frac{ \sqrt{1 + \frac{4 k }{z - i \delta}} - 1}{ 2 k } \right) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \frac{ \sqrt{1 + \frac{4 k }{z+ i \delta}} - \sqrt{1 + \frac{4 k }{z - i \delta}}}{ 2 k } \right) ##

If you take the limit, this just goes to zero.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would have to take a closer look, but I think you have to write the square root as ##f(z)^{1/2}## and you have to continue it around the branch cut the square root whence it will pick up a factor -1. Summa summarum you will end up with the sum of the two square roots and not it's difference.

1. What is the Green's function in physics?

The Green's function is a mathematical tool used in physics to solve differential equations. It is a function that represents the response of a physical system to a specific external force or stimulus.

2. How is the Green's function related to the density of states?

The Green's function is used to calculate the density of states, which is a measure of the number of energy states that are available to a system. It is related to the Green's function through the spectral representation, which expresses the Green's function in terms of the energy states of the system.

3. What is the significance of the density of states in material science?

The density of states is an important concept in material science because it determines the electronic and optical properties of a material. It provides information about the available energy levels and the ways in which electrons can move within the material, which is crucial for understanding its behavior and designing new materials.

4. How is the density of states affected by changes in the system?

The density of states can be affected by various factors, such as temperature, pressure, and external fields. These changes can alter the energy levels and the distribution of electrons, which in turn affects the material's properties. For example, increasing the temperature can lead to an increase in the density of states, as more energy levels become available for electrons to occupy.

5. What are some applications of Green's function and density of states in research?

The Green's function and density of states have a wide range of applications in different fields of research, including condensed matter physics, quantum mechanics, and material science. They are used to study the electronic and optical properties of materials, calculate the transport properties of electrons, and understand the behavior of systems under different conditions. They are also essential tools in developing new technologies, such as solar cells and electronic devices.