Bloch momentum-space wave functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of writing Bloch wave functions in momentum space and the steps involved in calculating it. The concept of crystal momentum is also clarified and the limitations of using momentum as a variable in this context are explained. The most accurate method for obtaining Bloch momentum-space wave functions is also questioned.
raz
TL;DR Summary
How would be the most correct way to obtain the Bloch momentum-space wave functions?
Hello, I wonder if it is possible to write Bloch wave functions in momentum space.
To be more specific, it would calculate something like (using Sakurai's notation):
$$ \phi(\vec k) = \langle \vec k | \alpha \rangle$$
Moving forward in a few steps:
Expanding:
$$ \phi(\vec k) = \int d^3\vec r \langle \vec k | \vec r \rangle \langle \vec r | \alpha \rangle$$
Replacing the element ##\langle \vec k | \vec r \rangle## and considering that ##\langle \vec r | \alpha \rangle## will be the Bloch wave function:
$$ \phi(\vec k) = \frac 1 {(2\pi)^{3/2}} \int d^3\vec r e^{-i\vec k \cdot \vec r} u_{k'}(\vec r)e^{i\vec k' \cdot \vec r}$$
or:
$$ \phi(\vec k) = \frac 1 {(2\pi)^{3/2}} \int d^3\vec r e^{i(\vec k' - \vec k) \cdot \vec r} u_{k'}(\vec r)$$
Remembering that ##u_{k'}(\vec r)## may be represented as:
$$u_{k'}(\vec r) = \sum_{\vec G} c_{\vec k' - \vec G} e^{-i\vec G \cdot \vec r}$$
Being ##\vec G## a reciprocal lattice vectors family and ##c_{\vec k' - \vec G}## a parameter defined by the central equation.
From this point some doubts arise: if the step by step is correct; if ##\vec k' - \vec k = 0## or if ##\vec k' - \vec k = \vec G## may be considered. Note that if this last statement is correct, replacing ##u_{k'}(\vec r)## in the integral will cause the exponential terms to vanish.
Solving these questions, how would be the most correct way to calculate the integral and get a final answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is a misconception here. If you work with electrons in a periodic potential your Hamiltonian is invariant only with respect to a set of discrete translations so the momentum is not a good quantum number to label your states.

If you label your Bloch state as ##\ket{\mathbf \alpha}## then ##\braket{\mathbf r | \alpha}=e^{-i \alpha \cdot \mathbf r} u_{\alpha}(\mathbf r) = \psi_{\alpha}(\mathbf r)##. Here ##\alpha## is what you would usually call ##\mathbf k## and it is called crystal momentum (but it is not a momentum! it is just a quantum number that you use to label your state!).

In some context, it behaves as it were a momentum, but it is not (see Ashcroft, Mermin). You can clearly see it because ##-i \hbar \nabla \psi_{\alpha}(\mathbf r) \neq \hbar \alpha##.

Likes raz
Your explanation makes sense. In fact, the "momentum" depends on a discrete variable. Even if we approximate this discretization to a continuum (huge amount of electrons and possible states) still wouldn't it make sense to use a description via momentum?

To add new states you need to add another unit cell to your array of cells. But if you add another unit cell the symmetry of the hamiltonian doesn't change at all (it's still made of a set of cells, no continuous translational symmetry), hence momentum is still not a good variable to work with. You can add how many cells you want (meaning that you are working with a finer and finer k-mesh) but nothing can change.

If you really want a connection with the momentum you can show (check for yourself) that the velocity operator ## \mathbf{ \hat v} ## (defined as ## \mathbf {\hat v} = \frac {-i} {\hbar} [\mathbf{\hat r}, \hat H]##) is given by (in reciprocal space):
$$\mathbf{ \hat v_{\mathbf k}} = \frac 1 {\hbar } \nabla_{\mathbf k} \hat H_{\mathbf k}$$

That's as far as you can go, I guess.

Last edited:
Likes raz
Thank you dRic2, your answers were enlightening!

Likes dRic2
raz said:
Summary:: How would be the most correct way to obtain the Bloch momentum-space wave functions?

Hello, I wonder if it is possible to write Bloch wave functions in momentum space.
To be more specific, it would calculate something like (using Sakurai's notation):
$$ \phi(\vec k) = \langle \vec k | \alpha \rangle$$
Moving forward in a few steps:
Expanding:
$$ \phi(\vec k) = \int d^3\vec r \langle \vec k | \vec r \rangle \langle \vec r | \alpha \rangle$$
Replacing the element ##\langle \vec k | \vec r \rangle## and considering that ##\langle \vec r | \alpha \rangle## will be the Bloch wave function:
$$ \phi(\vec k) = \frac 1 {(2\pi)^{3/2}} \int d^3\vec r e^{-i\vec k \cdot \vec r} u_{k'}(\vec r)e^{i\vec k' \cdot \vec r}$$
or:
$$ \phi(\vec k) = \frac 1 {(2\pi)^{3/2}} \int d^3\vec r e^{i(\vec k' - \vec k) \cdot \vec r} u_{k'}(\vec r)$$
Remembering that ##u_{k'}(\vec r)## may be represented as:
$$u_{k'}(\vec r) = \sum_{\vec G} c_{\vec k' - \vec G} e^{-i\vec G \cdot \vec r}$$
Being ##\vec G## a reciprocal lattice vectors family and ##c_{\vec k' - \vec G}## a parameter defined by the central equation.
From this point some doubts arise: if the step by step is correct; if ##\vec k' - \vec k = 0## or if ##\vec k' - \vec k = \vec G## may be considered. Note that if this last statement is correct, replacing ##u_{k'}(\vec r)## in the integral will cause the exponential terms to vanish.
Solving these questions, how would be the most correct way to calculate the integral and get a final answer?
Closest answer:
الشكر

1. What are Bloch momentum-space wave functions?

Bloch momentum-space wave functions are mathematical descriptions of the quantum mechanical behavior of electrons in a periodic crystal lattice. They describe the probability of an electron having a certain momentum in a crystal lattice, taking into account the periodicity of the lattice.

2. How are Bloch momentum-space wave functions different from position-space wave functions?

Bloch momentum-space wave functions are different from position-space wave functions in that they describe the behavior of electrons in momentum space, rather than in position space. This means they provide information about the momentum of an electron in a crystal lattice, rather than its position.

3. What is the significance of Bloch momentum-space wave functions in solid state physics?

Bloch momentum-space wave functions are crucial in understanding the electronic properties of materials in solid state physics. They provide insight into the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice, and are used to calculate important quantities such as the band structure and conductivity of a material.

4. How are Bloch momentum-space wave functions related to the concept of band structure?

Bloch momentum-space wave functions are directly related to the concept of band structure in solid state physics. The band structure is a plot of the allowed energy levels for electrons in a crystal lattice, and the Bloch momentum-space wave functions describe the probability of finding an electron with a certain momentum at a specific energy level.

5. Can Bloch momentum-space wave functions be experimentally observed?

While Bloch momentum-space wave functions cannot be directly observed, their effects can be seen in experiments such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES), which measures the momentum and energy of electrons in a crystal lattice. The results of these experiments can be compared to theoretical calculations using Bloch momentum-space wave functions to validate their accuracy.