1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Function for Third Order ODE

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A dynamical system has a response, y(t), to a driving force, f(t), that satisfies a differential equation involving a third time derivative:

[itex]\frac{d^{3}y}{dt^{3}} = f(t)[/itex]

Obtain the solution to the homogeneous equation, and use this to derive the causal Green's function for this system, G(t;τ). [hint: which order of derivative has a discontinuity at t = τ?]

2. The attempt at a solution

I've obtained a solution to the homogeneous equation [itex]\frac{d^{3}y}{dt^{3}} = 0 [/itex] by integrating 3 times with respect to t giving [itex]y(t) = \frac{1}{2}At^{2} + Bt + C[/itex].

Since I'm looking for a causal Green's function I know for t<τ G(t;τ) = 0.

Taking the advise of the hint I have tried to find which order of derivative has a discontinuity at t=τ. First replacing the driving force, f(t), with a delta function, δ(t-τ), I get

[itex]\frac{d^{3}y}{dt^{3}} = \delta(t-τ)[/itex]

then integrating over the interval [τ-ε, τ+ε] and letting ε tend to 0, I conclude the second derivative changes discontinuously by 1.

Is this correct or have I missed something in determining where the discontinuity lies?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted