1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's function? Physical interpretation?

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    Green's function?? Physical interpretation??

Hi friends..

Can anyone help me to understand the physical interpretation of the green's function with help of some physical application example such as that from electrostatic?? I am unable to understand what is meant by linear operator in green functions equation??? Response of the system to a disturbance?? Source density etc....

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2013 #2
  4. Mar 17, 2015 #3
    Green's function visualizes the effect of source concentrated at a point on different points of the domain

5. Mar 20, 2015 #4
    One may think of a Green's function as the response of a system i.e., the effect due to a unit cause.

6. Mar 20, 2015 #5

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As others have said, it is the physical system response to an impulse driving force. In addition to Wiemster's example

1. For the wave equation that describes surface waves on a fluid, the Green's function would be a good approximation of the result of a rain drop hitting the surface

2. The Green's function of the Helholtz equation describes the radiation from a point source with sinusoidal variation

3. In solid structures, the Green's function would describe the response to the hit of a hammer (such tests with hammers are sometimes done in real life!)

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook