Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Griffiths E&M: Do bound charges physically exist?

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    Well, actually it's not a homework problem, I just got really confused about bound charges.
    Originally, I thought it was just a special technique to do the integral, but somehow Griffiths suggest that bound charges are phsically exist.(chap. 4.2.2) Well, I can accept his argument, but later when we do the boundary condition problem, we have the equation
    Integral D dv = Q (free)
    So why it's Q free, not Q free plus the surface bound charge ? I know the math why the equation is true, but if surface bound charge physically exist, I don't think the equation make any sense...

Any help is appreciated..
    Thanks
    -Jin

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2
    The bound charges do exist. You see them in:

[tex]\epsilon_0 \nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \rho = \rho_{free} + \rho_{bound}[/tex]

Don't forget:

[tex]\vec{D} = \epsilon_0 \vec{E} + \vec{P}[/tex]

So the bound charges are absorbed in the polarization vector.

4. Mar 20, 2010 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Jin! :smile:

I don't have a copy of Griffiths, but if D in this is the electric displacement field , then by definition only the free charge is involved.

(For P, only the bound charge is involved, and for E the total charge is involved)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook