1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Griffiths E&M: Do bound charges physically exist?

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    Well, actually it's not a homework problem, I just got really confused about bound charges.
    Originally, I thought it was just a special technique to do the integral, but somehow Griffiths suggest that bound charges are phsically exist.(chap. 4.2.2) Well, I can accept his argument, but later when we do the boundary condition problem, we have the equation
    Integral D dv = Q (free)
    So why it's Q free, not Q free plus the surface bound charge ? I know the math why the equation is true, but if surface bound charge physically exist, I don't think the equation make any sense...

Any help is appreciated..
    Thanks
    -Jin

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2
    The bound charges do exist. You see them in:

[tex]\epsilon_0 \nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \rho = \rho_{free} + \rho_{bound}[/tex]

Don't forget:

[tex]\vec{D} = \epsilon_0 \vec{E} + \vec{P}[/tex]

So the bound charges are absorbed in the polarization vector.

4. Mar 20, 2010 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Jin! :smile:

I don't have a copy of Griffiths, but if D in this is the electric displacement field , then by definition only the free charge is involved.

(For P, only the bound charge is involved, and for E the total charge is involved)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook