Griffiths Electrodynamics - Chap 5 clarification curl of B field

In summary, the conversation is about clarifying a question on deriving the curl of B in Griffith's Electrodynamics. The focus is on using product rule 5 and the identity for the divergence of a vector to solve the problem. The conversation includes specific equations and terms being compared and discussed.
Sparky_

Homework Statement

This question is regarding clarifying some reading in Griffith’s Electrodynamics, page 224.
“deriving the curl of B”
In particular it’s less on electrodynamics and more on some vectors or vector calculus.
The book states: we must check that the second term integrates to zero:

The second term that is referred to is:
[tex] –(J *\nabla)\frac{\hat{r}}{r^3}[/tex]
• = “dot product”
The x-component is [tex] –(J *\nabla')\frac{x-x’}{r^3} = \nabla' * [\frac{x-x’}{r^3} J]- (\frac{x-x’}{r^3})(\nabla'*J) [/tex]
“using product rule 5”
Product rule 5 states: [tex] \nabla*(fA) = f(\nabla*A)+ A*(\nabla f)[/tex]
F is a scalar, A is a vector”

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having some difficulty matching up the terms and applying “product rule 5” in this case”

If I let the [tex]f(\nabla*A) [/tex] term = [tex](J*\nabla')(\frac{x-x’}{r^3}) [/tex]

And [tex]\nabla*(f*A)[/tex] = [tex]\nabla'*(\frac{x-x'}{r^3} J)[/tex]

The last term does not match.

Meaning, I have [tex]A*(\nabla f)[/tex] from the product rule.

The vector A "dot" a divergence.My remaining term does not have a divergence.

How does this product rule fit?

Thanks
-Sparky_

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to use the identity: ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot(f \vec{A}) = f(\vec{\nabla} \cdot\vec{A}) + \vec{A} \cdot (\vec{\nabla} f) = f(\vec{\nabla} \cdot\vec{A}) +( \vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) f## where I have rewritten the last term in a slightly different form.

Sparky_ said:
If I let the [tex]f(\nabla*A) [/tex] term = [tex](J*\nabla')(\frac{x-x’}{r^3}) [/tex]

Note that on the left you have a divergence of a vector: ##f(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A})## whereas on the right you do not have a divergence. You'll need to reconsider which term in the product rule should be identified with [tex](\vec{J} \cdot \vec{\nabla '})(\frac{x-x’}{r^3})[/tex]

1. What is the definition of curl of B field in Griffiths Electrodynamics?

The curl of B field in Griffiths Electrodynamics is a mathematical operation that describes the rotation or circulation of a vector field. In this context, it specifically refers to the rotation of the magnetic field, B, at a particular point in space.

2. How is the curl of B field calculated in Griffiths Electrodynamics?

The curl of B field is calculated using the vector calculus operator, known as the cross product. This involves taking the partial derivatives of the components of the B field with respect to the three spatial coordinates and combining them in a specific manner. The resulting vector is the curl of B field.

3. What is the physical significance of the curl of B field in Griffiths Electrodynamics?

The curl of B field is an important quantity in electromagnetism as it represents the strength and direction of the magnetic field lines at a particular point. It also plays a crucial role in describing the behavior of magnetic fields and their interactions with other fields, such as electric fields.

4. How does the curl of B field relate to Maxwell's equations in Griffiths Electrodynamics?

The curl of B field is one of the fundamental quantities in Maxwell's equations, specifically in the equation known as Ampere's law. This equation states that the circulation of the magnetic field, as described by the curl, is directly related to the current density at a given point in space.

5. Can the curl of B field be zero in Griffiths Electrodynamics?

Yes, the curl of B field can be zero in certain cases, such as in a uniform and steady magnetic field. In this scenario, the magnetic field lines do not rotate or change in strength at any point, resulting in a zero curl. However, in most cases, the curl of B field is non-zero and plays a significant role in electromagnetic phenomena.