Griffiths problem 2.7 Messy Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses integration by parts and substitutions for dealing with partial fractions with non-integer exponents. The author also mentions their attempt at solving the integral and their need to learn LaTeX for better readability. The conversation ends with a question on how to give upvotes.
Waxterzz
Hi all,
twRFdMD.png

"Integral can be done by partial fractions - or look it up" So second line, that's what I want to do.

How to deal with this? What substitution can I use? Never encountered partial fractions with non-integer exponents.

Someone give me a tip?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Waxterzz said:
Hi all,
twRFdMD.png

"Integral can be done by partial fractions - or look it up" So second line, that's what I want to do.

How to deal with this? What substitution can I use? Never encountered partial fractions with non-integer exponents.

Someone give me a tip?

Thanks in advance
I do think the author must have meant integration by parts. The term without a ## u ## in the numerator that has a ## (A+Bu)^{3/2} ## in the denominator is a straightforward integration and the ## u \, du/(A+Bu)^{3/2} ## can be readily integrated by parts.

Likes Waxterzz and zaidalyafey
You can directly use integration by parts.

Likes Waxterzz
Charles Link said:
I do think the author must have meant integration by parts.

zaidalyafey said:
You can directly use integration by parts.

I get something extremely messy. Here is the first part, the second part with integration by parts,I'll do it again tomorrow.

So the first term

integral (z du / (R² + z² - 2 Rz u) ^3/2 )

d(R² + z² - 2 Rz u) = -2 R z du

The integral becomes

-1/2R * integral ( d(R² + z² - 2 Rz u) / (R² + z² - 2 Rz u) ^3/2) )

Then I get1/R * (1/ (R² + z² -2Rzu) ^ 1/2)

The second part I'm going to do again tomorrow, and I'm going to try to put it in latex (have to learn latex quick) because posting like this is unreadable. But the first part is correct right?

You can differentiate z - Ru and integrate ( du / (R² + z² - 2 Rz u)^3/2)

Likes Waxterzz
From first to second line is simply the substitution given. The integration is from second line to third.

Likes Waxterzz
zaidalyafey said:
You can differentiate z - Ru and integrate ( du / (R² + z² - 2 Rz u)^3/2)

mathman said:
From first to second line is simply the substitution given. The integration is from second line to third.
Ok, so partial integration. integral (fdg) = fg - integral (gdf)

f = z-Ru
dg = du / (R² +z² -2zRu) ^ 3/2

For g I get
1 / ( (Rz) * (R² + z² -2*R*z*u)^1/2)

fg = (z-Ru) / ( (Rz) * (R² + z² -2*R*z*u)^1/2)

now the integral part - integral ( g d f)

df = -R du

So

The integral to solve

Rdu / ((Rz) * (R² + z² -2*R*z*u)^1/2))

Becomes

1/z * (2/-2*R*z) * (R² + z² -2*R*z*u)^1/2

Combining two terms, and rearranging

I get solutionDEAR GOD

hhahaha

(Okay I really need to learn latex now haha)
Charles Link said:
I do think the author must have meant integration by parts. The term without a ## u ## in the numerator that has a ## (A+Bu)^{3/2} ## in the denominator is a straightforward integration and the ## u \, du/(A+Bu)^{3/2} ## can be readily integrated by parts.

Thank u also.

How to give everyone upvotes in this thread?

Waxterzz said:
How to give everyone upvotes in this thread?

You can hit the like button in the bottom right corner of each post.

Likes Waxterzz

1. What is Griffiths problem 2.7 Messy Integral?

Griffiths problem 2.7 is a mathematical problem that involves evaluating a complicated integral. It is a common problem given in physics and mathematics courses to test students' understanding of integration techniques.

2. Why is it called the "Messy Integral"?

The integral in Griffiths problem 2.7 is often referred to as the "Messy Integral" because it involves multiple variables, complex expressions, and can be difficult to solve without the use of advanced integration techniques.

3. What are some strategies for solving Griffiths problem 2.7 Messy Integral?

Some strategies for solving the Messy Integral include using substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. It may also be helpful to simplify the expression before attempting to integrate.

4. Is Griffiths problem 2.7 Messy Integral important for real-world applications?

The Messy Integral is a common problem used in mathematics and physics courses to test students' understanding of integration techniques. While it may not have direct real-world applications, the problem helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in various fields.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Griffiths problem 2.7 Messy Integral?

The best way to improve your skills in solving the Messy Integral is through practice. Try to solve similar problems and familiarize yourself with different integration techniques. You can also seek help from a tutor or join study groups to learn from others' approaches and techniques.