Gross Perrywall phase transition

In summary, the Gross Periwall phase transition, named after David Gross, is a result of Gross and Mende on string scattering at energies above the Planck scale. This process is dominated by a specific string configuration, which can be described as a surface. At energies above the fundamental scale, our probes become larger than the fundamental scale, leading to the concept of a minimal distance. The famous result by Gross and Periwal shows that string perturbation theory is incomplete, and this is interpreted as signaling the existence of nonperturbative phenomena. There is also a concept called the Hagedorn transition, which is a phase transition at high temperature where very large strings are produced.
Skeezer
I just watched a video of James Gates and he discussed something he called the Gross Perrywall phase transition. It was named after David Gross, I am assuming most of you are familiar with his work. In an attempt to search more about this I came up empty. I do not know if I am spelling it correctly or not, but I found zero results.

Does anyone here know what I am talking about? Better yet, any good videos you would recommend along the lines of this?

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the search terms "Gross Perrywall phase transition" in Google Search brings me 450 results, none of which explain the process.

There is something called "Gross-Neveu phase transition" described in ArXiV 1203.3580. Is that what you described?

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! I have contacted Dr. Gates and he has informed me that it is spelled "Gross Periwall". I also would like to apologize for being so straightforward and uninformative with what I am seeking to learn. This actually really interests me and I would love to learn more. Here is what I am trying to learn specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6w0K5FIgsU#t=47m27s

The answer he gave here. I have also now found a few papers and a lot of info about perturbation theory but my main interest is about how he describes that at a small enough level actual space begins to disappear?

I am very familiar with Max Plank's work, but this is a bit different. Unfortunetely I am unfamiliar with most maths used, if anyone had any good references that are "dumbed down" that would be awesome, I especially learn best from videos!

Thanks again

Is there a more advanced forum that PF that anyone could recommend? I have searched but not personally found anything better but would really like to get to the bottom of this.

Bobby, I am thinking it has more to do with one of these papers:

http://goo.gl/qn07j

Or something that came from the "Princeton String Quartet".

Again I am most specifically looking for a layman explanation as to how space begins to disappear at a small enough level as explained in the link I posted above by Dr. Gates.

★Advanced: Gross Periwall Phase Transition

[STRIKE]Posted this in the General Physics forum but got no answers. I am still very intrigued and figured this might be a better subforum to ask.[/STRIKE]

<< Moderator Note -- Two Threads Merged >>

Question:

I just watched a video of James Gates and he discussed something he called the Gross Periwall phase transition. It was named after David Gross, I am assuming most of you are familiar with his work. In an attempt to search more about this I came up empty. I do not know if I am spelling it correctly or not, but I found zero results.

Here is what I am trying to learn specifically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6w0K5FIgsU#t=47m27s

(The Question at 47:27 into the video)

The answer he gave here. I have also now found a few papers and a lot of info about perturbation theory but my main interest is about how he describes that at a small enough level actual space begins to disappear?

Maybe something that came from the "Princeton String Quartet".

Again I am most specifically looking for a layman explanation as to how space begins to disappear at a small enough level as explained in the link I posted above by Dr. Gates.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Gates is confusing references here. The behavior he is referring to is a result of Gross and Mende on scattering of strings at energies above the Planck scale. What they found was that such processes are dominated by a specific string configuration, which could be described as a surface. If you compute the scale ##x_s## associated with the size of the surface (say as the square root of the surface area), you find that it scales with the energy of the process ##x_s \sim l_s^2 E ##, where ##l_s## is the fundamental length present in the string theory. This means that for energies ##E > l_s^{-1}##, our probes actually get larger than the fundamental scale ##l_s## that we would hope to probe. It is actually impossible to measure distances smaller than around ##l_s## with strings, leading to the concept of a minimal distance. This is discussed, along with other evidence, in this conference talk by Gross, specifically on pages 20-21.

The famous result by Gross and Periwal is this paper that shows that string perturbation theory is incomplete. Such a result on perturbation theory is interpreted (for example in QCD) as signaling the existence on nonperturbative phenomena. It was subsequently discovered that these phenomena could be described by D-branes. It is actually true that D-branes allow us to probe somewhat shorter distances than fundamental strings (see for example Shenker), but I do not think that this is what Gates meant (or at least it would not be a result to credit to Gross-Periwal).

Neither of these Gross et al results should really be called a phase transition, but there is a related concept called the Hagedorn transition. This is a rather technical subject, but in the context of strings, it has been interpreted as a phase transition at a high temperature, beyond which very large strings are produced. This is somewhat reminiscent of the Gross-Mende behavior, where large strings are also the dominant configuration at high energies.

Thank you very much for that answer! It definitely clears things up and is sending me in different new directions in my pursuit for knowledge on this topic.

1. What is the Gross Perrywall phase transition?

The Gross Perrywall phase transition is a phenomenon observed in statistical mechanics, specifically in the study of phase transitions in physical systems. It refers to the sudden change in the behavior of a physical system as a parameter, such as temperature, is varied. This transition is characterized by a discontinuity in the system's thermodynamic properties, such as energy and entropy.

2. How is the Gross Perrywall phase transition different from other phase transitions?

The Gross Perrywall phase transition is different from other phase transitions, such as solid-liquid or liquid-gas transitions, in that it does not involve a change in the state of matter. Instead, it is a change in the behavior of a physical system as a parameter is varied.

3. What are some examples of systems that exhibit the Gross Perrywall phase transition?

The Gross Perrywall phase transition has been observed in various systems, including magnets, superconductors, and liquid crystals. It has also been studied in biological systems, such as the behavior of proteins in solution.

4. Why is the Gross Perrywall phase transition important in scientific research?

The Gross Perrywall phase transition is important in scientific research because it provides insights into the behavior of physical systems and how they respond to changes in parameters. It also has practical applications in fields such as materials science and biophysics.

5. How do scientists study the Gross Perrywall phase transition?

Scientists study the Gross Perrywall phase transition using various theoretical and experimental techniques. These include analytical and numerical methods, as well as techniques such as X-ray diffraction and neutron scattering to observe the changes in the structure and behavior of the system as the transition occurs.