Ground state energy of 5 electrons in infinite well

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
Saptarshi Sarkar
Messages
98
Reaction score
13
Homework Statement
5 non-interacting electrons are placed in an infinite potential well of width a at T=0K. Calculate the maximum energy of the system.
Relevant Equations
##E_n = \frac {n^2\pi^2\hbar^2} {2ma^2}##
As the temperature given was 0K, I calculated the ground state energy of the system. I considered 2 electrons to be in the n=1 state, 2 in the n=2 state and 1 in the n=3 state by Pauli's exclusion principle.

By this configuration, I got the total energy of the system in the ground state to be

##E_{total} = 2\frac {1^2\pi^2\hbar^2} {2ma^2} + 2\frac {2^2\pi^2\hbar^2} {2ma^2} + \frac {3^2\pi^2\hbar^2} {2ma^2} = \frac {19\pi^2\hbar^2} {2ma^2}##

But, this doesn't match with any of the options provided in the question. What did I do wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is ##E_3## included in the options? Your teacher may suggest "the maximum energy of the system" to be ##E_3##, the highest energy level filled by electrons or Fermi energy, not E_total.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Saptarshi Sarkar and PeroK
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
Homework Statement:: 5 non-interacting electrons are placed in an infinite potential well of width a at T=0K. Calculate the maximum energy of the system.
Relevant Equations:: ##E_n = \frac {n^2\pi^2\hbar^2} {2ma^2}##

As the temperature given was 0K, I calculated the ground state energy of the system. I considered 2 electrons to be in the n=1 state, 2 in the n=2 state and 1 in the n=3 state by Pauli's exclusion principle.

By this configuration, I got the total energy of the system in the ground state to be

##E_{total} = 2\frac {1^2\pi^2\hbar^2} {2ma^2} + 2\frac {2^2\pi^2\hbar^2} {2ma^2} + \frac {3^2\pi^2\hbar^2} {2ma^2} = \frac {19\pi^2\hbar^2} {2ma^2}##

But, this doesn't match with any of the options provided in the question. What did I do wrong?

This total energy is actually the minimum energy, given the exclusion principle.
 
PeroK said:
This total energy is actually the minimum energy, given the exclusion principle.

But at temperature T=0K, shouldn't the energy be the minimum energy? I felt as if the maximum word was included to trick us.

Also, the maximum value as an option is ##\frac {25\hbar^2\pi^2} {2ma^2}##
 
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
But at temperature T=0K, shouldn't the energy be the minimum energy? I felt as if the maximum word was included to trick us.

Also, the maximum value as an option is ##\frac {25\hbar^2\pi^2} {2ma^2}##

What are the options? I think we are (again) trying to guess what the question setter intended.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Saptarshi Sarkar
PeroK said:
What are the options? I think we are (again) trying to guess what the question setter intended.

Currently can't provide the options as it was an online test and the the questions are not available yet. But from what I can remember, the available coefficients were 3,5,9 and 25.
 
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
Currently can't provide the options as it was an online test and the the questions are not available yet. But from what I can remember, the available coefficients were 3,5,9 and 25.

Then, it's ##9## as @mitochan suggests.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Saptarshi Sarkar
Dr Transport said:
Key word here is non-interacting...
Although that begs the question of whether non-interacting electrons have spin or not.
 
PeroK said:
Although that begs the question of whether non-interacting electrons have spin or not.
I'm thinking that non-interacting == ignore Fermi principle
 
Dr Transport said:
I'm thinking that non-interacting == ignore Fermi principle

Then they are all in the ground state and the maximum energy of the system is ##5## units. And, by maximum energy, the question setter means minimum energy? Or, should that be the maximum energy of anyone electron is ##1## unit?

It's very unclear to me what is meant by the question.
 
PeroK said:
Then they are all in the ground state and the maximum energy of the system is ##5## units. And, by maximum energy, the question setter means minimum energy? Or, should that be the maximum energy of anyone electron is ##1## unit?

It's very unclear to me what is meant by the question.
I agree, confusing wording.