Ground State Energy of quantum oscillator

In summary, The ground state energy of the QSHO, according to the textbook, is given by 1/2*h_bar*w. This is consistent with the uncertainty principle, where the minimum energy is equal to 1/2*h_bar*w. However, when trying to derive this equation, the speaker is not doing anything wrong. The characteristic time scale of the system is given by Δt = 2π/ω, which is related to the characteristic frequency scale ω. The energy-time uncertainty relation is more subtle than the position-momentum uncertainty relation, and the text actually refers to the minimum energy (⟨E⟩) when discussing the uncertainty principle. To derive the desired result, it is better to start with the position
PsychonautQQ
My textbook says the ground state energy of the QSHO is given by 1/2*h_bar*w and that this is the minimum energy consistent with the uncertainty principle. However I am having trouble deriving this myself... ΔEΔt ≥ h_bar / 2.. so then ΔE/Δfrequency ≥ h_bar / 2...

ΔE*2*pi / w ≥ h_bar / 2
ΔE ≥ h_bar*w / 4*pi

what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't doing anything wrong per say, at least not as far as I can tell. ##\Delta t## is the characteristic time scale of the system and certainly since we have a characteristic frequency scale ##\omega##, the characteristic time scale should be given by ##\Delta t = \frac{2\pi}{\omega}##.

I'm not entirely sure why you chose to start with the energy-time uncertainty relation; if you take a look at its derivation, particularly the assumptions about the evolution of expectation values of operators through a characteristic time period of the system, you would see that it's much more subtle a relation than the usual position-momentum uncertainty relation, but even that withstanding, the text is referring to ##\langle E \rangle ##, not ##\Delta E##, when it talks about the minimum energy consistent with the uncertainty principle. In other words ##\langle E \rangle \geq \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega## is the desired result.

So start instead with ##\Delta x \Delta p \geq \frac{\hbar}{2}##. Write down the expectation value for the total energy using the Hamiltonian for the QSHO and use the definition of variance and the position-momentum uncertainty relation to get an inequality for the energy expectation value involving only ##\Delta p##. Then minimize the result.

Last edited:

1. What is the ground state energy of a quantum oscillator?

The ground state energy of a quantum oscillator is the lowest possible energy level that the oscillator can have. It is the energy of the oscillator when it is in its lowest possible energy state, or the state with the lowest number of quanta.

2. How is the ground state energy of a quantum oscillator calculated?

The ground state energy of a quantum oscillator is calculated using the formula E0 = ½ħω, where ħ is the reduced Planck constant and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator. This formula is derived from the Schrödinger equation, a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the ground state energy of a quantum oscillator?

The ground state energy of a quantum oscillator is significant because it represents the minimum energy that an oscillator can have. This energy level is important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and is used in various calculations and experiments in quantum mechanics.

4. Can the ground state energy of a quantum oscillator be measured?

Yes, the ground state energy of a quantum oscillator can be measured using various experimental techniques. For example, it can be measured indirectly by observing the energy transitions between different energy levels of the oscillator. It can also be measured directly by using sensitive instruments and techniques such as spectroscopy.

5. How does the ground state energy of a quantum oscillator relate to the uncertainty principle?

The ground state energy of a quantum oscillator is affected by the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the energy of a system, the less precisely we can know its position, and vice versa. This means that the ground state energy of a quantum oscillator cannot have a precise value and is subject to uncertainty.