Group like terms factoring problem

In summary, the given expression ((x-y+2\sqrt{x}-2\sqrt{y})/(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y})) can be simplified by factoring out a common term of \sqrt{x} & -\sqrt{y} to get ((\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y})(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}+2)/(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y})). Using the identity x-y=(sqrt(x)+sqrt(y))*(sqrt(x)-sqrt(y)), the expression can be further simplified to (\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}+2).
kuahji
(x-y+2[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]-2[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex])/([tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]-[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex])

The first thing I did was group like terms
(x+2[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]-y-2[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex])/([tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]-[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex])

Then from the liked terms I factored out a [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] & -[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex]

(([tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex])([tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]+2)-([tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex])([tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex]+2))/([tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]-[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex])

Here is where I get stuck. The next step should be, (([tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]-[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex])([tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]+[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex]+2)/([tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]-[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex])

However I'm just unsure how to jump to that next step.

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you want to use x-y=(sqrt(x)+sqrt(y))*(sqrt(x)-sqrt(y)).

Thanks, that works out much nicer.

1. What are like terms in algebraic expressions?

Like terms are terms in algebraic expressions that have the same variables raised to the same powers. For example, 5x and 3x are like terms because they both have the variable x raised to the first power.

2. Why is it important to group like terms when factoring?

Grouping like terms allows us to simplify algebraic expressions and make them easier to work with. When factoring, grouping like terms helps us identify common factors and simplify the expression further.

3. How do you identify like terms in an expression?

To identify like terms, look for terms that have the same variables raised to the same powers. Also, coefficients (numbers in front of the variables) do not need to be the same for terms to be considered like terms.

4. Can you give an example of factoring using grouped like terms?

Yes, for example, in the expression 3x + 6 + 2x, we can group the like terms 3x and 2x together to get (3x + 2x) + 6. Then, we can factor out the common factor of x to get x(3+2) + 6, which simplifies to 5x + 6.

5. Is grouping like terms necessary for factoring?

No, grouping like terms is not always necessary for factoring, but it can make the process easier and more efficient. In some cases, like terms may not be present in the expression, and the factoring can be done without grouping them.