1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Guidance as a nuclear physicist after B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering

1. May 9, 2016 #1
    Can anyone please provide me information about the career as a nuclear physicists after B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering. is it a viable option?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Clarification: Are you asking whether you can go DIRECTLY into a career as a "nuclear physicist" (do you even know what that is?) with that degree and without seeking further education?

Zz.

4. May 9, 2016 #3
    I was interested in doing masters degree in that arena. Or even PhD if possible

5. May 9, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Next question: Where do you intend to pursue this "masters" and "PhD" degree?

Next, next question: What kind of a physics background did you get with your undergraduate degree?

Zz.

6. May 9, 2016 #5
    If possible in IISE BANGALORE, OR IIT KANPUR, OR SAHA INSTITUTE OF NUCLEAR PHYSICS. I did B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering. Is it even possible to switch to physics stream.

7. May 10, 2016 #6

DrSteve

Gold Member

Anything is possible, it's just some things are more probable than others. Have you talked to any of the faculty at your school?

8. May 10, 2016 #7
    Yes, I talked with my HOD. He said it is good to prefer conventional field like Thermal or design etc. But I am more inclined towards the high energy physics. See, I don't want to enter a field where my present studies will not be sufficient for studies in that area. And be a failure after joining. So I need to be sure before joining.

9. May 10, 2016 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Wait... do you want to do nuclear physics, or do you want to do high energy physics? Read the title of your thread again.

Zz.

10. May 10, 2016 #9
    H
    I, may be wrong but I think these things are nearly same.
    Nuclear physics deals with nucleus and it's constituents and
    HEP deals with sub atomic particles like bosoms, quarks, etc
    HEP deals with a scale smaller than nuclear physics.
    But if they are different then I will go with HEP

11. May 10, 2016 #10

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

They are definitely different. A generally good idea is to know what a field is, before you even consider doing a PhD in it.

12. May 11, 2016 #11
    Thank you for your guidance..

13. May 11, 2016 #12

DrSteve

Gold Member

To round out the topic, you cannot directly go from a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering to enter into either a nuclear physics or particle physics PhD. You do not have the proper training. You could acquire it, but it would it take a year or two of diligent study.

14. May 11, 2016 #13
    Th
    Thank you sir

15. May 11, 2016 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think those are something different.

16. May 11, 2016 #15
    Sorry typing mistake..

17. May 11, 2016 #16

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

:-D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted