Guidance as a nuclear physicist after B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a career in nuclear or high energy physics after completing a B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering. The individual is interested in doing a masters or PhD in this field, specifically at IISE Bangalore, IIT Kanpur or Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics. The conversation also touches on the difference between nuclear physics and high energy physics and the necessary training to enter into a PhD program in these fields. The individual is seeking guidance on the feasibility of switching from mechanical engineering to physics and ensuring that their current studies will be sufficient for their desired career path.
Dinesh Dashbabu
Can anyone please provide me information about the career as a nuclear physicists after B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering. is it a viable option?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dinesh Dashbabu said:
Can anyone please provide me information about the career as a nuclear physicists after B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering. is it a viable option?

Clarification: Are you asking whether you can go DIRECTLY into a career as a "nuclear physicist" (do you even know what that is?) with that degree and without seeking further education?

Zz.

I was interested in doing masters degree in that arena. Or even PhD if possible

Dinesh Dashbabu said:
I was interested in doing masters degree in that arena. Or even PhD if possible

Next question: Where do you intend to pursue this "masters" and "PhD" degree?

Next, next question: What kind of a physics background did you get with your undergraduate degree?

Zz.

If possible in IISE BANGALORE, OR IIT KANPUR, OR SAHA INSTITUTE OF NUCLEAR PHYSICS. I did B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering. Is it even possible to switch to physics stream.

Dinesh Dashbabu said:
If possible in IISE BANGALORE, OR IIT KANPUR, OR SAHA INSTITUTE OF NUCLEAR PHYSICS. I did B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering. Is it even possible to switch to physics stream.
Anything is possible, it's just some things are more probable than others. Have you talked to any of the faculty at your school?

Yes, I talked with my HOD. He said it is good to prefer conventional field like Thermal or design etc. But I am more inclined towards the high energy physics. See, I don't want to enter a field where my present studies will not be sufficient for studies in that area. And be a failure after joining. So I need to be sure before joining.

Dinesh Dashbabu said:
Yes, I talked with my HOD. He said it is good to prefer conventional field like Thermal or design etc. But I am more inclined towards the high energy physics. See, I don't want to enter a field where my present studies will not be sufficient for studies in that area. And be a failure after joining. So I need to be sure before joining.

Wait... do you want to do nuclear physics, or do you want to do high energy physics? Read the title of your thread again.

Zz.

H
ZapperZ said:
Wait... do you want to do nuclear physics, or do you want to do high energy physics? Read the title of your thread again.

Zz.
I, may be wrong but I think these things are nearly same.
Nuclear physics deals with nucleus and it's constituents and
HEP deals with sub atomic particles like bosoms, quarks, etc
HEP deals with a scale smaller than nuclear physics.
But if they are different then I will go with HEP

Dinesh Dashbabu said:
H

I, may be wrong but I think these things are nearly same.
Nuclear physics deals with nucleus and it's constituents and
HEP deals with sub atomic particles like bosoms, quarks, etc
HEP deals with a scale smaller than nuclear physics.
But if they are different then I will go with HEP
They are definitely different. A generally good idea is to know what a field is, before you even consider doing a PhD in it.

Likes DrSteve
Thank you for your guidance..

DrSteve said:
Anything is possible, it's just some things are more probable than others. Have you talked to any of the faculty at your school?
To round out the topic, you cannot directly go from a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering to enter into either a nuclear physics or particle physics PhD. You do not have the proper training. You could acquire it, but it would it take a year or two of diligent study.

Likes Dinesh Dashbabu
Th
DrSteve said:
To round out the topic, you cannot directly go from a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering to enter into either a nuclear physics or particle physics PhD. You do not have the proper training. You could acquire it, but it would it take a year or two of diligent study.
Thank you sir

Dinesh Dashbabu said:
like bosoms

I think those are something different.

Likes e.bar.goum
Sorry typing mistake..

Vanadium 50 said:
I think those are something different.
:-D

1. How can a B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering lead to a career in nuclear physics?

B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering provides a strong foundation in mathematics and technical skills, which are essential for a career in nuclear physics. The principles of mechanics and thermodynamics learned in this degree are also applicable in nuclear physics experiments and research.

2. What kind of job opportunities are available for a nuclear physicist with a background in mechanical engineering?

Nuclear physicists with a B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering can work in various industries such as nuclear power plants, research and development organizations, and government agencies. They can also pursue a career in academia as a research scientist or professor.

3. Is further education required after completing B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering to become a nuclear physicist?

While it is not necessary, further education such as a postgraduate degree in nuclear physics or a related field can provide in-depth knowledge and specialized training for a career in this field. It can also increase job opportunities and potential for career advancement.

4. What skills are necessary to be a successful nuclear physicist with a background in mechanical engineering?

Some essential skills for a nuclear physicist with a B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a good understanding of mathematical and scientific principles. Communication and teamwork skills are also necessary for collaborating with other scientists and engineers.

5. What are the current developments and advancements in nuclear physics that a mechanical engineer should be aware of?

Some current developments in nuclear physics include the use of advanced materials in nuclear reactors, the development of new nuclear fuel cycles, and the exploration of new nuclear fusion technologies. It is important for a mechanical engineer to stay updated on these advancements to apply their skills and knowledge effectively in this field.