Guidance for Mech. Engr's trying to learn Programming, DAQ, & Controls

In summary, the speaker is an experienced mechanical engineer with a degree in the field and a focus on strength of materials and machine design. They are looking to expand their skill set to include competencies in C/C++ programming and setting up data acquisition test stations. They also want to learn how to control solenoids, stepper motors, pumps, and control valves. They are considering getting a post baccalaureate in computer science but are unsure if it will benefit their career goals. They have been using hobbyist books to learn programming and using Arduinos, but feel that they may not be suitable for professional use. Another speaker suggests looking into Labview, a GUI-based programming system for instrument control and test automation. They
jehake12
Brief background:
8 yrs exp in mechanical design/engineering of medical devices and CVD/PVD equipment for semiconductor
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
P.E. in Mechanical Engineering (strength of materials & machine design focus)

I'm looking for guidance/ learning recommendations for broadening my engineering skill set to include: competencies in C/C++ programming; setting up data acquisition test stations; and doing basic controls/automation of solenoids, stepper motors, pumps, and control valves. I'd really love to be able to write some simple c/c++ code for my computer or a micro-controller for reading pressure transducers or strain gauges, actuate a couple of solenoids off/on, sense some push buttons and ramp up/down a stepper motor or 3. It would be super helpful to be able to read and understand the software (typically in C) on legacy devices that our company has had for over 10 years after the principle engineers have retired/left.

Would I need to acquire a post baccalaureate in computer science or would that have me spending 80% of the time in classes that would not benefit my goal? Is there a better focus for instrumentation and controls in electrical engineering?

Currently I've bought some hobbyist books for learning to program, wire, and use Arduino's. It's been pretty fun, but I feel that they might be a little overly simplistic to get a good understanding of the fundamentals. I would feel a little embarrassed to use an Arduino for an automated test station for production of medical devices; I've never seen them used at any of the companies I've worked for. Are there any good books for just starting from scratch on your PC, write some code in C, use your serial/parallel/usb ports to sense and control projects?

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you are discussing is pretty simple software... the complexity is in the controls and instrumentation. I would focus on that. Find some class notes and tutorials on the methods you are interested in. I don't think specific training in CS would be helpful. You don't need the theory, just the practical skills.

There is a simple GUI-based programming system used for instrument control and test automation (that is how I have used it). It is called Labview. You should check it out. If you can get your company to buy it there are tons of tutorials and documentation for it. It is quite easy to get started and understandable for non-CS types.

analogdesign said:
There is a simple GUI-based programming system used for instrument control and test automation (that is how I have used it). It is called Labview. You should check it out. If you can get your company to buy it there are tons of tutorials and documentation for it. It is quite easy to get started and understandable for non-CS types.

Yep. Here's a link for the OP. http://www.ni.com/labview/

1. What is the best programming language for mechanical engineers to learn?

The best programming language for mechanical engineers to learn depends on their specific goals and the industry they are working in. However, popular options include Python, MATLAB, and C++.

2. How can I improve my skills in data acquisition (DAQ)?

To improve your skills in data acquisition, it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of DAQ, such as sensors, signal conditioning, and sampling rates. Additionally, practicing with real-world projects and experimenting with different DAQ systems can help improve your skills.

3. What are the key factors to consider when designing a control system?

Some key factors to consider when designing a control system include the desired performance of the system, the type of control algorithm to use, the types of sensors and actuators needed, and the overall cost and complexity of the system.

4. How can I integrate programming, DAQ, and controls into my mechanical engineering projects?

Integrating programming, DAQ, and controls into mechanical engineering projects can be done by identifying opportunities where these skills can be applied, such as data analysis, system monitoring, and automation. It is also important to have a good understanding of the specific tools and techniques needed for each aspect and how they can be combined effectively.

5. Are there any specific resources or courses that you recommend for learning programming, DAQ, and controls as a mechanical engineer?

There are many online courses, tutorials, and resources available for learning programming, DAQ, and controls as a mechanical engineer. Some popular options include Udemy, Coursera, and edX. It is also helpful to seek out hands-on projects or workshops to gain practical experience in these areas.