• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Other Guidance for Undergraduate Research

Hi everyone,
I'm going to be a second year Applied Physics and Math student in the fall. I spent my freshman year working with a professor researching applications of titanium nanotubes. It was a great experience but im looking for new opportunities to continue exploring the many concentrations of physics that are out there. I would love to get involved in independent research like many students do, but I dont know what areas/topics would be appropriate for a student of my experience level to investigate. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Dr. Courtney

Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I think a student's best options are usually to find a mentor (physics faculty at their school) whose interests and projects align closely with their interests. Better to have a local expert with a broad knowledge base and lots of available tools than trying to be independent. I only recommend alternate avenues after a student does due diligence trying to find research opportunities in their home department.