1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Guidance for Undergraduate Research

1. May 3, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I'm going to be a second year Applied Physics and Math student in the fall. I spent my freshman year working with a professor researching applications of titanium nanotubes. It was a great experience but im looking for new opportunities to continue exploring the many concentrations of physics that are out there. I would love to get involved in independent research like many students do, but I dont know what areas/topics would be appropriate for a student of my experience level to investigate. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. May 4, 2017 #3
    I think a student's best options are usually to find a mentor (physics faculty at their school) whose interests and projects align closely with their interests. Better to have a local expert with a broad knowledge base and lots of available tools than trying to be independent. I only recommend alternate avenues after a student does due diligence trying to find research opportunities in their home department.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted