1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guidance needed about physics field and post-secondary education

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    Hello,
    I am current attending my fifth year of High School to finish some courses and prepare for university. I am looking into an http://www.uwindsor.ca/futurestudents/programprofile/physics-honours-physics-honours-physics-physics-and-high-technology-honours-physics-m" [Broken] and then moving on to secure atleast a masters degree somewhere else. However my question is, what can I do with such a degree. Can I become an engineer after my bachelors degree in physics? What are the Job Opportunities like and who would you recommend something like this to. I have always found physics to be a very facinating subject, particularily Astrophysics and quantum mechanics. I have read a couple books (out of curiosity and general interest) from Michio Kaku (Physics of The Impossible as well as Hyperspace) and I generally find myself wandering the science section at book stores, browsing wikipedia articles and actually wanting to read physics textbooks from my university friends. I find everything from the structure and compostition of the universe, dark matter, the big crunch, super novae, magnetars all the way down to quarks, gluons, the weak-interaction, carbon nanotubes, string theory and all in between to quite astounding. I love finding out how the universe and its mechanics work and the theoretical work behind it all is quite astounding. However, while I clearly have the passion, I wonder what being a physicist is all about. Can I go off to the LHC and study high energy collisions lasting only fractions of a second, or would I be stuck moving around the continent searching for job opportunities like others suggest? I really need a push in the right direction, and any bits or tips at all as well as any suggestions would be quite helpful.

Also for graduate programs I was looking into a multitude of courses at Waterloo or York universities such as Nanotechnology, Quantum Computing and astrophysics would be nice.

AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ANYONE WHO CAN POST ANYTHING TO HELP AT ALL!!!! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted