Guidance needed for a math and physics double major

In summary: I came into college with a lot of credits from AP and dual enrollment courses and was able to skip many of the general education requirements. In summary, the individual is a sophomore in college with a strong background in math and physics, including courses like calc 1-3, diff-eq, linear algebra, topology, real analysis, functional analysis, abstract algebra, and number theory. Their background in physics is weaker, but they have taken courses like physics 1 and 2, modern physics, modern physics lab, statistical physics, classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and some quantum computation. They plan on taking quantum mechanics and particle physics next year and are wondering if their background is good enough for a good graduate school. They are also
jowen6
I'm currently a sophomore in college double majoring in math and physics and I've been wondering what would be a good grad school for mathematical physics. I have a pretty good math background (calc 1-3, diff-eq, linear algebra, topology, real analysis, functional analysis, abstract algebra, and number theory so far). My background in physics is weaker I think (physics 1 and 2, modern physics, modern physics lab, statistical physics, classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, some quantum computation, and I'm taking quantum mechanics and particle physics next year). I like pretty much all of my math classes except abstract algebra. I also find my physics classes interesting but more challenging. I've gotten all A's in my math classes and A's and B's in my physics classes. Would my background be good enough to even get me into a good grad school? I was also wondering what would be a good area to look into for the future study that would do more with functional analysis. What other classes would you recommend for good grad school prep? Is there anything that uses topology in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
jowen6 said:
I have a pretty good math background (calc 1-3, diff-eq, linear algebra, topology, real analysis, functional analysis, abstract algebra, and number theory so far). My background in physics is weaker I think (physics 1 and 2, modern physics, modern physics lab, statistical physics, classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, some quantum computation, and I'm taking quantum mechanics and particle physics next year).

All that and you're just a sophomore!? With all those courses taken, how are you only a sophomore credit-wise? In my experience, some of those courses are junior/senior level. I'd say you're doing very well in preparation for graduate school.

Laura1013 said:
All that and you're just a sophomore!? With all those courses taken, how are you only a sophomore credit-wise? In my experience, some of those courses are junior/senior level. I'd say you're doing very well in preparation for graduate school.

Maybe he means he is in his second year.

jowen6: Just out of curiosity, does your school require you to take classes that are not needed for your major? General education requirements, etc?

Also to say something about your question and to add to what Laura1013 said:
I think you are on a great track so far. To make your chances better you should try doing a research project. If you could find something in Mathematical Physics that would be even better.

Last edited:
he probably did dual enrollment in high school and came into uni with an AA which waives all the bs classes. there was a freshman in lin alg class last semester who did that

ice109 is correct

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a double major in math and physics?

Pursuing a double major in math and physics can provide a strong foundation for a career in a variety of fields, such as engineering, research, and data analysis. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts in both subjects.

2. How do I manage the workload of a double major in math and physics?

It is important to prioritize your time and create a schedule to balance your coursework for both majors. Seeking help from professors, teaching assistants, and study groups can also aid in managing the workload.

3. Can I still graduate in four years with a double major in math and physics?

It is possible to graduate in four years with a double major in math and physics, but it may require careful planning and possibly taking summer classes. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure all requirements are met.

4. Are there any specific skills or experiences I should have before pursuing a double major in math and physics?

Having a strong background in mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra, can be beneficial for a double major in math and physics. Prior experience in coding or computer science can also be helpful for physics courses that involve programming.

5. What career options are available with a double major in math and physics?

A double major in math and physics can lead to a variety of career options, including data analysis, research, engineering, teaching, and more. It can also provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in fields such as engineering, physics, or applied mathematics.