1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Guidance Needed in Electrical Engineering

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    Hello, I'm about to specialize within Electrical Engineering but I'm unsure of some aspects.

I have my heart set on working with computer hardware like creating motherboards and processors, but I really don't know what the significant difference between Computer, Microelectronics and Electronic Engineering.

Also, since I'm offered to take a either a double major in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics. Would Applied Mathematics take me further in "Computer engineering" if I'm looking to work with hardware rather than the software concentration of the field?

Also I'm wondering if Computer Engineering is actually in demand, because frankly I see many unemployed computer engineers, and well only 1 or 2 people in 300 graduated from computer engineering in my university.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2
    Looks like you already have it narrowed down enough to proceed.

Undergraduate classes you might take are computer engineering, microprocessor engineering, electronics, digital electronics. Particularly digital electronics. Once you have taken all those classes, you will probably know what you need to do to go further.

I don't know that applied math would be that relevant. From what I saw of computer engineering, the math is pretty light. I think computer science would probably be better. The math that I think would be most relevant is mathematical logic, combinatorics, theory of algorithms and computation, automata theory, which is not really applied math. "Applied" math tends to be stuff like differential equations and numerical methods. What you want is more like discrete math. You can do applied discrete math, but usually the stuff that has the "applied" label attached to it in courses is PDE, ODE, and numerical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook