Gunshot Projectile Motion: Two possible angles*

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of two possible angles for a rifle to hit a target at a distance of 91.4 meters, given the muzzle speed of the bullet. The trigonometric identity 2sinθcosθ = sin2θ is mentioned as a useful tool. The person is also unsure of how to calculate the velocity in the x direction and is seeking help with solving the relevant equations.
shissqbob

Homework Statement

The drawing shows an exaggerated view of a rifle that has been ‘sighted in' for a 91.4-meter target. If the muzzle speed of the bullet is v0 = 424 m/s, there are the two possible angles θ1 and θ2 between the rifle barrel and the horizontal such that the bullet will hit the target. One of these angles is so large that it is never used in target shooting. Give your answers as (a) the smaller angle and (b) the larger angle. (Hint: The following trigonometric identity may be useful: 2 sinθ cosθ = sin 2θ.)

Homework Equations

2sin(theta)cos(theta) = sin2(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

acceleration in the y direction = -9.80 m/s^2
initial velocity = 424 m/s
distance in the x direction = 94.1 m
calculated time.
94.1 m/424 m t = 0.2219 seconds

I have two triangles drawn (representing the extreme and normal theta). I am unsure of how to calculate the velocity in the x direction so I can use trig to calculate my angle and y component of the triangle. Solving one triangle will help me solve the second one.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not know that the time taken is 0.2219 seconds.

What are the horizontal and vertical equations of motion for the bullet? Those are the relevant equations here.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the path that an object takes when it is thrown or launched into the air. It follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity, and can be affected by factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance.

2. How does a gunshot follow projectile motion?

A gunshot follows projectile motion in the same way as any other object that is launched into the air. The bullet is given an initial velocity by the gun, and then it follows a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on it.

3. What are the two possible angles for gunshot projectile motion?

The two possible angles for gunshot projectile motion are the angle of elevation and the angle of depression. The angle of elevation refers to the angle at which the gun is aimed above the horizontal, while the angle of depression refers to the angle at which the gun is aimed below the horizontal.

4. How do the two possible angles affect the trajectory of a gunshot?

The two possible angles can greatly affect the trajectory of a gunshot. The angle of elevation can determine the maximum height that the bullet will reach, while the angle of depression can determine how far the bullet will travel before hitting the ground. The angle of elevation also affects the time of flight and the horizontal distance traveled.

5. What is the optimal angle for maximum range in gunshot projectile motion?

The optimal angle for maximum range in gunshot projectile motion is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the most efficient use of the initial velocity and minimizes the effects of air resistance. However, this angle may vary depending on other factors such as wind speed and air density.