Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gyroscope behaviour during 24 hours on earth

1. Jan 12, 2016 #1
    Hi

is my assumption correct ?

precision gyroscope,sitting on the table during 24 hours, perfectly balanced, with free motion in all 3 axis, while still spinning using electric drive or compressed air to maintain motion...

there should be relative motion between gyro and its stationary holder in all 3 axis( assuming im not at the poles) but at some latitude less than 90.

gyro disk should keep orientation and holder will move with earth, but from my reference frame i will see holder stationary and gyro disk will move

gyro-5-638.jpg AxialTiltObliquity.png Effect-of-earth-rotation-on-Gyro-at-Equator.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Not necessarily a motion in all 3 axes, it depends on the orientation of the axes relative to the rotation axis of Earth.

4. Jan 12, 2016 #3
    i think because of tilted earth axis, except poles, the point on the sphere surface( gyro holder) has to move in all 3 axis

5. Jan 12, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Tilt relative to an arbitrary reference frame?
    You can consider everything from the reference frame of Earth, aligned with the axis of rotation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook