Ineresting thought on earth's speed and rotation.

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter .physics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotation Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 18K views
Well, that difference only shows up in the third significant digit anyway. Although I committed the cardinal sin of significant figuring and rounded an intermediate result: I plugged in 6400 km instead of the actual radius :devil:

Anyway just for kicks, if you take T = 24.000 hours and r = 6378 km, it comes out to 0.03373 m/s2. (Only at the equator, of course)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
diazona said:
There is a centrifugal force when you do physics in a rotating reference frame. It's a fictitious force, but still, it is a well-known physical term with a precise mathematical definition. (Which is what you'd need to have for "centrifugal momentum" to use it meaningfully)

I don't think a precise definition renders something meaningful or not. I think of a force as something inherent and fundamental and not the product of other things. If the centrifuge effect is created by momentum, then it can't be a force in the sense that gravity or EM fields are, right?
 
Well you're kind of right, that's why we call it a fictitious force: you can eliminate it by changing to an appropriate coordinate system. Of course, by the same logic, gravity is also a fictitious force :wink: The thing is, if you're not in the appropriate coordinate systems where they vanish, these fictitious forces act mostly just like regular forces.

All I meant to say is that if we're going to have a meaningful discussion about physics concepts, we have to make sure we're using the same words to mean the same things. And in order to precisely convey to other people what you mean by some particular words, you generally need to use math. Things like centrifugal force have well-defined mathematical meanings (in this case, [itex]m\vec{\omega}\times(\vec{\omega}\times\vec{r})[/itex]) so when someone else says "centrifugal force," I know that's exactly what they mean. But there's no such mathematical definition for "centrifugal momentum," at least as far as I know, so when you say that, it's not entirely clear what you're saying.
 
I once was on an elevator nearing the 100th floor when the cable snapped.
As the elevator plummeted and I watched the floor numbers tumbling wildly, I timed my vertical jump perfectly just as the elevator hit the concrete basement and here I am, none the worse for the experience.

But with respect to Mother Gaia and her motions, she is dragging the entire atmosphere along with her through space. So moving up avails you nothing.
 
RenasontsMan said:
I once was on an elevator nearing the 100th floor when the cable snapped.
As the elevator plummeted and I watched the floor numbers tumbling wildly, I timed my vertical jump perfectly just as the elevator hit the concrete basement and here I am, none the worse for the experience.
Not really sure of the point of claiming this urban legend. You did not intend that we believe it; are you just looking for a reaction?
 
RenasontsMan said:
I once was on an elevator nearing the 100th floor when the cable snapped.
As the elevator plummeted and I watched the floor numbers tumbling wildly, I timed my vertical jump perfectly just as the elevator hit the concrete basement and here I am, none the worse for the experience.

But with respect to Mother Gaia and her motions, she is dragging the entire atmosphere along with her through space. So moving up avails you nothing.

This won't happen in a real elevator unless is claimed it happened before 1850's.
But then, 100 stories buildings??.
The safety brakes will slow down or even stop the motion.
Of course, it has no consequence on the (in)validity of the point under discussion.
Just that you need to do your research even to make up legends.