Gyroscopic Precession (Relationship with ωspin and ωprecession)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ILoveZerg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Precession
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ILoveZerg
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am trying to find the relationship between the rate of precession(ωprecession) and the angular velocity of the wheel(ωspin). Here is a video that explains the problem well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty9QSiVC2g0

Homework Equations



$$L = r X P = Iω$$
$$\tau = r X F$$

The Attempt at a Solution



http://demoweb.physics.ucla.edu/node/29
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/GyroscopicPrecession.html

So, above are the answers to my question. However, they do not do a very good job of explaining what the equations mean. The equation for ωprecession from the first link is:
[itex]ω_{precession} = \stackrel{\tau}{I\omega_{spin}}[/itex]
[itex]ω_{precession} = \stackrel{Mgr}{L}[/itex]

I am trying to understand these and really do not know where to go from here. Is it really as simple as [itex]ω_{precession} = \stackrel{Mgr}{Mr_{2}^2\omega}[/itex]?

Edit: I was doing some more thinking and in the above equation where I replaced Iw with Mr^2w. The r2 on the bottom is the radius of the wheel while r is the radius of the horizontal "rod".
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ILoveZerg said:
Is it really as simple as [itex]ω_{precession} = \frac{Mgr}{Mr_{2}^2\omega}[/itex]?

Edit: I was doing some more thinking and in the above equation where I replaced Iw with Mr^2w. The r2 on the bottom is the radius of the wheel while r is the radius of the horizontal "rod".

Yes, that looks right (after changing \stackrel to \frac).