Inertia of a flywheel, with a mass attached in a cord.

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework exercise involving calculating the inertia of a rotating flywheel through three different methods. The first method involves measuring and calculating various parameters, while the second method uses the laws of conservation of energy. The third method involves using the flywheel as a pendulum. The conversation then discusses the equations and solutions attempted for the second method, including accounting for friction. However, the calculated inertia values for each method are significantly different, leading to the question of what could be going wrong.
santais

Homework Statement

Hi :)

So we've been given an exercize, where we have to calculate the inertia of a rotating flywheel in three different methods. The setup can been seen below.

400px-Rotational_constraint.png

First by measuring and calculating the diameter, mass, radius, volume etc. Worked out just fine.

The second is causing the troubles. Measuring and calculating it by using the laws of conservation of energy.

The third was using it as pendule. Worked out fine aswell, with a good result, very close to the first method.

Homework Equations

So we've been trying to solve it, by the means of laws of conservation, where we first neglect the friction.

Loss in potential energy = increase in kinetic energy.

So by using the above statement, we can calculate the inertia. The wheel is not moving along a horisontal axis, so therefor there is no velocity:

[itex] mgh = \stackrel{1}{2} I \omega^2[/itex] Solving for I

[itex] I = \stackrel{2mgh}{\omega^2}[/itex]

Which gave a okay nice solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

Then we now consider the friction as a force acting against the wheel. By making two equations, using Newtons Second Law of Rotation (τ = Iα), from t0 to t1 and from t1 to t2.

t0 - t1 is where the mass is still attached to the wheel. From t1 - t2, the mass has run out of cord and is no longer affecting the wheel with a downward force. In other words, the cord has slipped the wheel. So here's the two equations:

First from t0-t1

[itex]I α = tc r[/itex] (tc is the force from the cord/tension)[itex] → tc = \stackrel{Iα}{r}.[/itex]

Using Newtons Second law, and by writing a free body diagram, following equation can be written:

[itex] ma = tc - mg → ma = \stackrel{Iα}{r} -mg[/itex]

Rewriting a to α and solving for I.

[itex]mαr = \stackrel{Iα}{r} -mg → mαr^2 = Iα -mgr → mαr^2 + mgr = Iα → I =mr^2+\stackrel{mgr}{α}[/itex]

Substituting this expression in the general torque equation and putting the friction T, as a force in we get:

[itex]Iα = (mr^2+\stackrel{mgr}{α})α - T[/itex] [t0,t1]

And since the mass is 0 from [t1,t2]:

[itex]Iα = -T[/itex]

And substituting the mass, angular acceleration, gravity and radius, and solve for I and T, we get a completely other answer, way off method 1 and 3.

I for Method 1 ≈ 0,31

I for Method 2 ≈ 4,2

I for Method 3 ≈ 0,19

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? For me the theory for method 2 seems correct, but there must be an error somewhere :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mgh=.5I(omega)^2

What about the kinetic energy of the falling weight? You are omitting it. The weight would fall faster if it did not have to turn the flywheel. Therefore the potential energy is used up by turning the flywheel plus the downward speed of the weight.

1. What is a flywheel and how does it work?

A flywheel is a mechanical device used to store rotational energy. It consists of a heavy disk or wheel that is mounted on an axle and is free to rotate. The mass attached to the cord provides the necessary force to rotate the flywheel.

2. What is inertia and how does it relate to a flywheel?

Inertia is the property of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In the case of a flywheel, it refers to its tendency to stay in motion once it has been set in motion. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, which states that an object will maintain its rotational motion unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does the mass attached in a cord affect the inertia of a flywheel?

The mass attached in a cord adds to the overall mass of the flywheel, increasing its inertia. This means that it will require a greater force to accelerate or decelerate the flywheel, making it more resistant to changes in its state of motion.

4. How is the inertia of a flywheel calculated?

The inertia of a flywheel can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the flywheel and r is the radius of the flywheel. The mass attached in the cord can also be included in this calculation by adding its mass to the total mass of the flywheel.

5. What are some real-world applications of the inertia of a flywheel?

Flywheels are commonly used in machines that require a steady and continuous source of energy, such as engines and electric generators. They are also used in gyroscopes, which are used in navigation systems and stabilizers for vehicles and ships. In addition, flywheels are used in energy storage systems to store excess energy and release it when needed.