1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half Life for a second order reaction

1. Dec 9, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

HalfLife = 1 / k*[A]i

where k is the rate constant and [A]i is the initial concentration of a reactant A.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't have enough information to attempt this problem. I don't know what to do with the partial pressure of O2 (is it part of the reactants?) If it is, then does the reaction become third-order?

I also don't see the point of having HClO4 in this problem... does it change anything?

By using the given values of k and [Fe] and plugging into the equation, you get 2702.7 atm hours... I think this is wrong because I didnt use the partial pressure of O2 at all...

One final thing, the units by just using the half life equation give atm*hours... and if you divide by the pressure you get the correct unit, just hours. Is this the correct thing to do (the result is 13 513 hours)...

I just want to know whether I'm in the right direction.

Thanks
    Preet

Attached Files:

• FE.jpg
      FE.jpg
      File size:
      40.9 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fe2+ does react with HClO4, assuming you can ignore the formation
    of Fe(OH)2, you need to incorporate the rate dyanmics of this reaction and that of the Fe2+ reacting with oxygen gas. You need to put everything in terms of how the Fe2+ is depleted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?