Half Life for a second order reaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the HalfLife equation in a problem involving the depletion of Fe2+ in a reaction. There is confusion about what to do with the partial pressure of O2 and the presence of HClO4 in the problem. It is suggested to incorporate the rate dynamics of Fe2+ reacting with oxygen gas and HClO4 in order to solve the problem accurately.
preet

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=8562&stc=1&d=1165713321.jpg

Homework Equations

HalfLife = 1 / k*[A]i

where k is the rate constant and [A]i is the initial concentration of a reactant A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have enough information to attempt this problem. I don't know what to do with the partial pressure of O2 (is it part of the reactants?) If it is, then does the reaction become third-order?

I also don't see the point of having HClO4 in this problem... does it change anything?

By using the given values of k and [Fe] and plugging into the equation, you get 2702.7 atm hours... I think this is wrong because I didnt use the partial pressure of O2 at all...

One final thing, the units by just using the half life equation give atm*hours... and if you divide by the pressure you get the correct unit, just hours. Is this the correct thing to do (the result is 13 513 hours)...

I just want to know whether I'm in the right direction.

Thanks
Preet

Attachments

• FE.jpg
    FE.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 772
Physics news on Phys.org
Fe2+ does react with HClO4, assuming you can ignore the formation
of Fe(OH)2, you need to incorporate the rate dyanmics of this reaction and that of the Fe2+ reacting with oxygen gas. You need to put everything in terms of how the Fe2+ is depleted.

i

Hello Preeti,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified.

Firstly, the half-life equation that you have provided is correct for a second-order reaction. However, the units are incorrect. The correct units for the half-life of a second-order reaction are M^-1*s (or mol^-1*L*s depending on the units of the rate constant).

Secondly, the partial pressure of O2 is not part of the reactants, it is simply a measurement of the reactant's concentration in the gas phase. In this case, it is used to calculate the initial concentration of Fe in the reaction.

Thirdly, the presence of HClO4 does not change anything in this problem. It is simply a spectator ion and does not participate in the reaction.

Lastly, your final result of 13,513 hours is correct. Dividing by the pressure is the correct way to convert the units to hours.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a "Half Life" for a second order reaction?

The half life for a second order reaction is the amount of time it takes for the concentration of a reactant to decrease by half. In other words, it is the time required for the initial concentration to decrease by 50%.

2. How is the half life for a second order reaction calculated?

The half life for a second order reaction can be calculated using the following equation: t1/2 = 1 / (k[A]0), where t1/2 is the half life, k is the rate constant, and [A]0 is the initial concentration of the reactant.

3. What factors can affect the half life of a second order reaction?

The half life of a second order reaction can be affected by the initial concentration of the reactant, the temperature, the presence of a catalyst, and the reaction rate constant.

4. How does the half life of a second order reaction compare to other types of reactions?

The half life of a second order reaction is longer than the half life of a first order reaction, where the concentration decreases by half in a shorter amount of time. It is also shorter than the half life of a zero order reaction, where the concentration decreases by the same amount over time regardless of the initial concentration.

5. Can the half life of a second order reaction be changed?

The half life of a second order reaction can be changed by altering the initial concentration of the reactant, changing the temperature, or adding a catalyst to the reaction. By increasing the initial concentration, the half life will decrease; by increasing the temperature, the half life will decrease; and by adding a catalyst, the half life may decrease depending on the specific reaction.