1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamilton - Jacobi method for a particle in a magnetic field

1. Sep 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hamiltonian of charged particle in magnetic field in 2D is ##H(x,y,p_x,p_y)=\frac{(p_x-ky)^2+(p_y+kx)^2}{2m}## where ##k## and ##m## are constant parameters. For separation of this system use ##S=U(x)+W(y)+kxy+S_t(t)##. Solve Hamilton - Jacobi equation to get ##x(t), y(t)## .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I substitute ##p_i=\frac{dS}{dx_i}## in the assignment and assumptation ##S_t(t)t=a_0t## (hamiltonian don't depend on time) I get
    ##U_x^2+(W_y+2kx)^2=a (+b-b)##,
    where ##a=2ma_0##, ##b## is separation constant and subscript means derivative. I separate it and I get
    ##W_y=b##
    ##U_x=\sqrt{a-(2kx+b)^2}##...my first question is, if it is good procedure and is it right?
    Then I integrate but second terms is quite...complex, so I denote solution of this integral as ##I(x;a;b)+d##, ##c## and ##d## are constants.
    ##W=by+c##
    ##U=I+d##
    I suppose that constants ##c## and ##d## are unimportant because of they are just additive. So
    ##S=I+by+kxy-\frac{a}{2m}t##
    and finally ##x(t), y(t)## I get from
    ##\frac{dS}{da}=e## and ##\frac{dS}{db}=f## where ##e,f## are constants.
    Please comment my procedure and also if exist some "better" prcedure when I could get exact ##x(t),y(t)## because from this integral ##I## it is impossible.
    Thank you for an advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you mean to have the factor of ##t## on the left side? Do you need a negative sign in front of the right side?
    Doesn't the factor of (b-b) make the right side zero? Maybe just a typo.
    This looks correct to me.
    Yes
    This looks good. It should not be hard to evaluate ##\partial I / \partial a## and ##\partial I / \partial b##. [Edit: Differentiate "under the integral sign" and then do the integral.]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  4. Sep 5, 2017 #3
    Ok, thank you very much for comments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted