Hand prosthesis that can 'feel'

• Thread starter FTM1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary, the recipient can not actually feel the artificial hand but can get feedback from sensors on the artificial hand.
FTM1000
i saw some articles about people with hand prosthesis that also have some sensory feedback trough implants on a nerve in what left from the arm that gets signals from sensors on the artificial hand . but i didn't understand exactly how its work, dose the amputee actualy 'feels' the hand? like when he touch something with his prosthesis he feels the sensation coming from the artificial hand?.
it is possible (in some limited fashion) to have something like that without surgery?

Likes atyy
Biology news on Phys.org
You would need to provide a link to a specific article which can be discussed, although I also have heard of work in this area.
I think it is very unlikely that the recipient would experience a fully working hand since the encoding of informational in nerve signals is not yet well understood, (we do know some of the basic physics but not a lot about how the 'software' works - what does a specific nerve signal actually mean?
Surgery would most definitely be involved since the artificial hand must be physically well connected and must also include a device capable of translating signals from biological nervous system to digital signals which the artificial hand can make sense of.
Similarly any sensors in the hand need to have their output translated to a form which makes sense as input for the biological nerves.

Google 'reinnervation'.
I think the greatest barrier to robotic prosthetics is not the feedback/control mechanism, of which there are many viable contenders, It's that no robotic hands are cheap, robust and lightweight. Ie actuators are the problem. The hosmer hook, a body powered design over 100 years old is still the most widely used upper limb prosthetic. It's cheap, robust and lightweight unlike current robotics.

Likes Thewindyfan and atyy
Very cool news, is there also a 3d printed brain on the way, doesn't need to be biological?

Last edited:
From what I see, the nerve only grows onto the chest and the sensor from the artificial hand reads the signal, so he can't really feel the artificial hand, I didn't watch the entire film though.

Can't they create a prosthesis that is based on nerve and muscle contraction? They can just reconnect the nerve with the prosthesis.

1. How does a hand prosthesis that can 'feel' work?

A hand prosthesis that can 'feel' works by using sensors and electrodes to detect touch and pressure from the environment. These signals are then sent to the brain through a process called sensory substitution, which allows the user to experience sensation in their prosthetic hand.

2. Can anyone use a hand prosthesis that can 'feel'?

Currently, hand prostheses that can 'feel' are still in the development and testing phase. They are not widely available for public use, but they have shown promising results in clinical trials. In the future, they may be available for use by individuals who have lost a hand or have a congenital hand difference.

3. How is a hand prosthesis that can 'feel' different from a regular prosthetic hand?

A hand prosthesis that can 'feel' is different from a regular prosthetic hand because it includes sensors and electrodes that allow for the detection and transmission of touch and pressure signals. This allows the user to have a more natural and intuitive experience with their prosthetic hand.

4. What are the benefits of using a hand prosthesis that can 'feel'?

One of the main benefits of using a hand prosthesis that can 'feel' is that it can provide a more natural and realistic experience for the user. This can improve their ability to perform daily tasks and increase their overall quality of life. It may also reduce the risk of injury or accidents, as the user can better sense their surroundings.

5. Are there any risks or limitations to using a hand prosthesis that can 'feel'?

As with any medical device, there may be some risks associated with using a hand prosthesis that can 'feel'. These may include infection, discomfort, or malfunctions. Additionally, the technology is still in development and may have limitations in terms of sensitivity and accuracy. However, as advancements are made, these limitations may be overcome.