Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Disk Data Retrieval

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Does anyone know of any programs/methods for this? I had a disk crap out on me over the weekend and there are some email I didn't have backed up that I would like to try and recover. I tried repairing it with chkdsk and the Windows Recovery Console to no avail.

Thanks...CS

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had a hard disk die a few months back. I retrieved data from it using a USB docking station that I purchased for a few pounds. Perhaps that might help in your situation.

4. Mar 10, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I've used File Scavanger (V 2.1) with better than 96% recovery rate.
    http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

Otherwise one could put the HD in a USB caddy like Kurdt recommended. I've also had to do that when a boot sector became corrupted.

5. Mar 10, 2008 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You might consider taking it to a professional rather than attempting to do it on your own.

6. Mar 10, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi stewartcs!

How did it die?

Did it make a noise when it died (such as clanking?)

Does the computer still recognise it as a disk?

(… you have my sympathy …)

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Thanks, both of these sounds promising!

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7

stewartcs

Science Advisor

It locked up and then upon reboot I got the blue screen of death.

DST 1000-something error. I googled it and found out that it means the hard disk is screwed.

Fortunately, I have a Mirra server that backs-up everything automatically. Unfortunately, I didn't tell it to back up my e-mails!

CS

9. Mar 10, 2008 #8
    If you believe that the failure was due to damaged bearings you could try the freezer trick. Supercooling the drive could possibly free up the bearings that's causing the lock down... if that's truly the trouble. An old laptop hard drive I once repaired for a friend seemed to fail due to excessive heat over a long life. Putting the drive in the freezer for a few hours may allow clearances to open up and let the drive spin freely again... at least until it heats back up.

When you ran the check disk command did you include the '/r' switch?

10. Mar 10, 2008 #9
    I had (or have) a program called something like "PC Wizard" that does that I believe. Whooo, my 100th post, can I be a contributor now? Ha ha

11. Mar 10, 2008 #10

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Yes I used the /r switch. It wasn't the bearings as I got the Windows splash screen.

Thanks...CS

12. Mar 13, 2008 #11
    I think got this type of software but you can not 100% retrieve hard disk data.

13. Mar 14, 2008 #12

-Job-

Science Advisor

If you have no success recovering your data some mail servers leave a copy of the emails at the server.

In the past i've had something similar happen and i was able to recover the data with BartPE loaded with some file recovery software.

14. Mar 14, 2008 #13

Defennder

Homework Helper

But how did it die in the first place? I thought most PCs today are equipped with an early warning system designed to detect possible hard drive failure? My Dell PC bought in 2001 had this installed. I saw the early warning message for hard drive failure back in 2004, and got it changed before the hard drive failed.

15. Mar 15, 2008 #14

stewartcs

Science Advisor

I have my Outlook options set to delete the email once it is downloaded. :frown:

Plus, I'm a pack rat when it comes to data. I had emails from 1999!

Thanks...CS

16. Mar 15, 2008 #15

stewartcs

Science Advisor

It gave no warning. It is a Dell D600 that I bought in 2004. It just froze up one day, so I had to do a hard reboot. It would get to the Windows splash screen and then the blue screen of death with the DST error that I mentioned previously.

CS

17. Mar 15, 2008 #16

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't remember what file outlook packages all the mails into, but when I changed PC's I managed to find out which on it was copy it and paste it into the outlook folder on my new PC and voila, I had all my old e-mails. Unfortunately I can't remember what file it was but perhaps I'll have jogged someone elses memory.

18. Mar 15, 2008 #17

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Outlook stores them in .pst files. Unfortunately, I didnt have my Mirra server set to back those up.

CS

19. Apr 21, 2008 #18

stewartcs

Science Advisor

The USB caddy worked great...the hard disk must have just had a bad spot in the boot sector or where ever Windows was reading from. Don't know if this matters or not but the disk was about full too (may have contributed to the problem somehow).

Anyway, I was able to recover all of my data with the USB caddy.

Thanks guys!

CS

20. Apr 23, 2008 #19
    Freezing the hard drive in the freezer

I work at a computer shop for roaminggear.com, its a tech thing. Anyways we have had luck freezing hard drives in the fridge for a while and then using an external cord to hook it to another computer. Its only for a certain type of break in the hard drive which is usually indicated by a clicking.

Reference
    Levtech LLC roaminggear. com

Its there quote so i just want to make sure I wont get into trouble. Great company by the way! Thanks for the awesome website.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?