Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard probability question (cambridge exam question)

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    original link: http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/teaching/pastpapers/2001/Part_IA/PaperIA_2.pdf" [Broken]

Question 11F

Dipkomsky, a desperado in the wild West, is surrounded by an enemy gang and
    fighting tooth and nail for his survival. He has m guns, m > 1, pointing in different
    directions and tries to use them in succession to give an impression that there are several
    defenders. When he turns to a subsequent gun and discovers that the gun is loaded
    he fires it with probability 1/2 and moves to the next one. Otherwise, i.e. when the
    gun is unloaded, he loads it with probability 3/4 or simply moves to the next gun with
    complementary probability 1/4. If he decides to load the gun he then fires it or not with
    probability 1/2 and after that moves to the next gun anyway.
    Initially, each gun had been loaded independently with probability p. Show that if
    after each move this distribution is preserved, then p = 3/7. Calculate the expected value
    EN and variance Var N of the number N of loaded guns under this distribution.

Hint: it may be helpful to represent N as a sum Xj (1 to m) of random variables
    taking values 0 and 1.

This question is extremely confusing and I dunno even how to start, could anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2009 #2
    To get started on the first part and to help your understanding, try sketching the probability tree for a single gun.

HTH

4. Dec 5, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the hints.
    For m=1, then initially we have prob of p having it loaded, before the first round we have two case
    loaded: prob of p
    not loaded: 1-p
    after 1st round
    loaded:
    not loaded: 1-p*1/4

Any idea what should I do next?

Also, I don't really understand what he means for "Show that if
    after each move this distribution is preserved, then p = 3/7."
    What exactly is the "distribution" refering to? is it N?
    How could we use the property that the distribution is preserved

Thank you!

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4
    Say the probability after the move is p1, then p1=p. In the first part you'll have derived an expression for p1 in terms of p, and if your algebra is correct then p=3/7 is the only solution to the equation p1=p. To get the probabilities right though, you might need to practice on some simpler probability tree questions first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook