Hardest and Trickiest Question I've Encountered.

• Thread starter gameomega
  • Start date
In summary: So, to keep it from falling all the way down, the rock needs to have a speed greater than 2piR/15 minutes. That means the rock's velocity has to be 3.14*piR/15 minutes or 4.71*piR/min. So, the rock will return to the launch point in 4.71*piR/min.
gameomega
Hardest and Trickiest Question I've Encountered. Please Help!

Homework Statement

An alien spaceship is revolving around a spherical asteroid in a very low circular orbit. The period of revolution of the spaceship is 15 minutes. A research party of the alien students lands on the steroid and drills a tunnel through it along a diameter. They then launch a rock into the tunnel with an initial speed equal to that of the orbiting spaceship. How long would it be before the rock comes back to the launch point?

Homework Equations

None that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I think, since T= 2piR/v, I thought I could get v. However, I don't even know R and I don't even know distance if I am to use v as in d/t. There seems to be too many variables involved and too little equations to use. I believe that words, very low circular orbit, could mean something. I guess I only know that the period is 15 mintues and that the rock is launched at an initial speed equal to teh orbiting space ship. That means that the velocity of the rock is equal to 2piR/15 minutes. however, i still don't know r.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are seriously underpowered. You need to know Newton's law of gravitation and assume that the body is uniformly dense. Then you need to compute the orbital period at the surface and compare it with the time it takes on a trajectory through the center. If the only equation you have is T=2piR/v, this is way too hard for you.

no idea if this is right but yeah...

T=(2*PI*r)/v
V=(2*Pi*r)/T

T=15min = 900sec

V=(2*pi*r)/900 _____(1)

Distance= speed*time
t=D/S _______________(2)

distance is the diamater which is 2r

equation 1 into 2

t=2r/((2*Pi*r)/900)

after abit of algebra

t=900/pi
t= 286.48 sec (2dp)
t= 4min 46 sec

dunno if its right but yeah there it is

cheers

You just computed 15min/pi. That's the time required to pass through the hole one-way ignoring gravity. That much is right. But if you ignore gravity nothing will orbit and the object shot down the hole will never come back. That's no fun!

1. What makes a question the "hardest and trickiest"?

The difficulty of a question is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, a question can be considered the "hardest and trickiest" if it requires a deep understanding of a complex concept, involves multiple steps or layers of reasoning, or requires the use of critical thinking skills to arrive at a solution.

2. How do you approach a difficult question?

When encountering a difficult question, it is important to first take a step back and make sure you understand the question and any given context or information. Then, break down the question into smaller, more manageable parts and brainstorm possible solutions or approaches. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources or ask for help from others.

3. What are some strategies for solving tricky questions?

There are many different strategies that can be used to solve tricky questions, but some common ones include breaking the question down into smaller parts, eliminating incorrect answer choices, using process of elimination, and working backwards from the given answer choices.

4. How do you avoid getting overwhelmed by a difficult question?

When faced with a difficult question, it is important to stay calm and focused. Take deep breaths, re-read the question and any given information, and remind yourself that you have the skills and knowledge to tackle the question. It can also be helpful to take breaks if needed and come back to the question with a fresh perspective.

5. How can I improve my ability to answer difficult questions?

The best way to improve your ability to answer difficult questions is to practice regularly and expose yourself to a variety of challenging questions. This can help you develop critical thinking skills, improve your problem-solving abilities, and increase your knowledge and understanding of various subjects. Additionally, seeking out feedback and learning from your mistakes can also help you improve your skills in answering difficult questions.