1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic function squared and mean value

1. Nov 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let u be a harmonic function in the open disk K centered at the origin with radius a. and
    [itex]∫_K[u(x,y)]^2 dxdy = M < ∞[/itex]. Prove that
    [itex]|u(x,y)| \le \frac{1}{a-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\left( \frac{M}{\pi}\right)^{1/2}[/itex] for all (x,y) in K.

2. Relevant equations
    Mean value property for harmonic functions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first thought this was easy and directly applied the mean property for harmonic functions, but of course, the square of a harmonic function is not harmonic (unless it's a constant).

I can see this problems begs for the mean value using a ball with radius [itex]a-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex] which would be entirely inside the disk K but I can't get around the fact that u squared is not harmonic. Help please

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2013 #2
    Are you integrating over the whole disk K (i.e. a double integral) or as a line integral around the boundary of K.

4. Nov 8, 2013 #3
    I integrated over the area of the smaller circle inside with radius [itex] r=a-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]. This is exactly what I did (I know it's wrong):

[itex] u^2(x,y)=\frac{\int_{B_r(x,y)} u^2(w, z)dwdz}{\pi r^2}\leq \frac{\int_K u^2(w, z)dwdz}{\pi r^2}=\frac{M}{\pi r^2}\\
    |u(x,y)|\leq \sqrt{\frac{M}{\pi r^2}}[/itex]
    But of course, this would work if u^2 were harmonic, which is seldom the case.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe applying the maximum principle and somehow get bounds...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  5. Nov 9, 2013 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted