1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic Motion with Electricity

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform circular ring of charge Q= 4.50 microCoulombs and radius R= 1.30 cm is located in the x-y plane, centered on the origin. A point z is located along the Z axis. If z << R then E is proportional to z. (You should verify this by taking the limit of your expression for E for z << R.) If you place an electron on the z-axis near the origin it experiences a force Fz= -kz, where k is a constant. Obtain a numerical value for k. [I did this and obtained the value 2.946×10-9 N/m which I know is correct] What is the frequency of the small axial oscillations that the electron will undergo if it is released along the z-axis near the origin?

2. Relevant equations

So far I have looked at:

[tex]
    \vec{F}_{net} = \Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}
    [/tex]

KE= 1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so what haven't I thought about so far?
    My first approach was to use Fnet= ma and then substitute dz^2/d^2t for a and try separation of variables and integrate it, but I didn't really know how to make that work for a position dependent force as opposed to a velocity dependent force and I really couldn't get anything useful out of that. Then I thought about trying Potential energy and setting the potential energy at that point to the kinetic energy of the point in the middle of the ring of charge. Then I would have a velocity of that point I couldn't figure out if that would tell me anything, and I don't even think I'm supposed to use potential energy because we haven't even gotten close to learning that chapter yet. I figure I was closer with the Fnet=ma approach because the problem had us find the force and there should be a reason for that, right? So maybe I'm just messing up the calculus.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi nothilaryy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    (I'm sorry nobody replied earlier: I hope you've done it by now, but if not …)

Yes, it's z'' = -(k/m)z, which is a standard simple harmonic motion equation with general solution z = Acosωt + Bsinωt, where ω = … ? (work it out by differentiating twice! :wink:)

(if you want to solve it properly, use the trick of putting v = dz/dt, so the chain rule gives you dv/dt = v dv/dz)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook