1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscillations of the electromechanical system (normal modes)

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/275x215q90/661/kIVMcC.png [Broken]
    Mathematical pendulum is the part of the oscillating circuit.
    The system is in a constant uniform magnetic field. Oscillations is small. Find the normal modes of oscilations.

2. Relevant equations

##
    \begin{cases}
    ml^2\ddot \phi+ mgl\sin\phi=1/2\dot q Bl^2 \\
    \frac{q}{C}+L\ddot q = 1/2Bl^2\dot \phi
    \end{cases}
    ##
    +
    ##\sin\phi \approx \phi##

3. The attempt at a solution

Submit a solution in the form ##q=q_0e^{i\omega t}## and ##\phi=\phi_0e^{i\omega t}##.
    It is more clear to me how to find for a solution. But I'm not sure for a signs near right sides of equations, e. g. near the ##1/2\dot q Bl^2## and ##1/2 Bl^2\dot \phi##. How I can determine right signs.

I get right sides in first equation as mean Ampere force: ##F=1/2IlB=1/2\dot q l B##,
    and in second equation as EMF: ##\epsilon=-B\frac{dS}{dt}##, where ##dS=1/2lv##, ##v=-l\dot \phi##. Thus, ##\epsilon=\frac{Bl^2}{2}\dot\phi##

Another words, how can I determine right signs for the Ampere force and EMF?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 29, 2014 #3
    You have not indicated the direction you are taking for positive current; seems to me like this is a first step.

5. Oct 30, 2014 #4
    Ok, let it be clockwise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted