Harmonic oscillations of the electromechanical system (normal modes)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the normal modes of oscillations in a mathematical pendulum system that is in a constant uniform magnetic field. The equations and solution method are provided, but the question of determining the correct signs for the Ampere force and EMF is raised. The direction of positive current is assumed to be clockwise.
sergiokapone

Homework Statement

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/275x215q90/661/kIVMcC.png
Mathematical pendulum is the part of the oscillating circuit.
The system is in a constant uniform magnetic field. Oscillations is small. Find the normal modes of oscilations.

Homework Equations

##
\begin{cases}
ml^2\ddot \phi+ mgl\sin\phi=1/2\dot q Bl^2 \\
\frac{q}{C}+L\ddot q = 1/2Bl^2\dot \phi
\end{cases}
##
+
##\sin\phi \approx \phi##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Submit a solution in the form ##q=q_0e^{i\omega t}## and ##\phi=\phi_0e^{i\omega t}##.
It is more clear to me how to find for a solution. But I'm not sure for a signs near right sides of equations, e. g. near the ##1/2\dot q Bl^2## and ##1/2 Bl^2\dot \phi##. How I can determine right signs.

I get right sides in first equation as mean Ampere force: ##F=1/2IlB=1/2\dot q l B##,
and in second equation as EMF: ##\epsilon=-B\frac{dS}{dt}##, where ##dS=1/2lv##, ##v=-l\dot \phi##. Thus, ##\epsilon=\frac{Bl^2}{2}\dot\phi##

Another words, how can I determine right signs for the Ampere force and EMF?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

You have not indicated the direction you are taking for positive current; seems to me like this is a first step.

Dr.D said:
You have not indicated the direction you are taking for positive current; seems to me like this is a first step.

Ok, let it be clockwise.

I would first commend the student for their attempt to find the normal modes of oscillations in this electromechanical system. The equations and diagrams provided show a clear understanding of the physical setup and the mathematical concepts involved.

To answer the question about determining the right signs for the Ampere force and EMF, I would suggest looking at the direction of the forces and currents involved. In the first equation, the Ampere force is acting in the direction of the velocity of the charge, which is determined by the sign of the dot product between the magnetic field and the velocity. Similarly, in the second equation, the EMF is acting in the direction opposite to the change in magnetic flux, which is determined by the right-hand rule.

In general, it is important to pay attention to the direction of forces and currents in electromechanical systems, as they can greatly affect the behavior of the system. I would encourage the student to continue exploring and learning about these types of systems, as they have many real-world applications and can lead to interesting and valuable research opportunities.

1. What is a harmonic oscillation?

A harmonic oscillation is a type of motion in which a system or object moves back and forth repeatedly around a central point due to a restoring force. This type of motion is characterized by a regular pattern and can be described mathematically using sinusoidal functions.

2. How does an electromechanical system exhibit harmonic oscillations?

An electromechanical system is a combination of electrical and mechanical components that work together to perform a specific task. In such a system, harmonic oscillations can occur when there is a transfer of energy between the electrical and mechanical components, resulting in the system vibrating at a specific frequency.

3. What are normal modes in the context of harmonic oscillations?

Normal modes refer to the different ways in which an electromechanical system can vibrate when excited at its natural frequency. These modes are characterized by specific patterns of motion and can be visualized as different standing wave patterns within the system.

4. How do normal modes affect the performance of an electromechanical system?

Understanding the normal modes of an electromechanical system is crucial for optimizing its performance. By identifying and controlling the natural frequencies at which the system vibrates, engineers can prevent unwanted resonance and ensure that the system operates smoothly and efficiently.

5. Can normal modes be manipulated in an electromechanical system?

Yes, normal modes can be manipulated by adjusting the design and components of an electromechanical system. This can be done by changing the stiffness, mass, or damping of the system, which can alter the natural frequencies and thus the normal modes. Additionally, active control techniques such as feedback control can also be used to adjust the system's response to external vibrations.