Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscillator in matrix form

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    I know that the HO hamiltonian in matrix form using the known eigenvalues is
    <i|H|j> = E^j * delta_ij = (j+1/2)hbar*omega*delta_ij, a diagonalized matrix.

How do I set up the non-diagonalized matrix from the potential V=1/2kx^2?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    [tex]
    \langle x'|H|x\rangle = \delta(x-x')\left[ -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \frac{1}{2}kx^2\right]
    [/tex]

Not very interesting, it's what you might think of as the Hamiltonian anyway.

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3
    Nice, peter@cam,

Can you cite a reference for further study?

5. Jan 28, 2010 #4
    Well I can't think of a book reference, although I'm sure some people on this board can.

The hilbert space for a 1-d quantum particle is infinite dimensional. In the energy basis, it is a discretely infinite thing, whereas in the position basis it is continuously infinite.

You just need to get into a habit of thinking about functions as infinite dimensional vectors, and operators as matrices.
    It might help you visualise it if you do a discretised case writing out differentiation as a finite difference matrix (eg using Matlab). The hamiltonian above is non-diagonal because differential operators aren't diagonal in the position basis. (even though paradoxically they come attached with a delta function).

Its important to remember that *all* operators should come with two indices. Just as a matrix has two subscripts, an operator on a function can always be thought of as a matrix multiplication by representing it with a kernel:
    [tex]
    (\mathsf A \mathbf{f})(x) = \int dx' A(x,x')f(x')
    [/tex]
    c.f
    [tex]
    (\mathsf A v)_i = \sum_j A_{ij}v_j
    [/tex]

Once you realise that the differential operator is really
    [tex]
    D(x,x')=\delta(x-x')\frac{d}{dx'}
    [/tex]
    and that the position operator is really
    [tex]
    X(x,x')=\delta(x-x')x'
    [/tex]
    then the analogy with finite-d linear algebra becomes very clear, and constructing matrix elements doesn't feel as unnatural.

6. Jan 28, 2010 #5
    Thanks for your valuable help. It's clear now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook