Has all the Good Music Been Played/Copied/Completed?

• Thread starter morrobay
  • Start date
This was the big single from Thank U, Next. Skip to 00:42.

I can hear triplets in the "My favorite things" section. But at :42 it just goes into a fast 4/4 with emphasis on the 1 and 2 beats. I don't hear triplets at that point.

BWV
The triplet thing is significant as hip hop's roots are in funk, which is a 16th note groove (4 notes per beat), in contrast to the earlier style of swung 8ths in blues and Jazz which was a triplet feel

AndreasC
Gold Member
I can hear triplets in the "My favorite things" section. But at :42 it just goes into a fast 4/4 with emphasis on the 1 and 2 beats. I don't hear triplets at that point.
She starts on the off beat, omits the third note and repeats the pattern twice per bar. It is similar to the Versace flow, very common in trap.
To see this more clearly, try filling in the gaps by "echoing" the patterns. So instead of saying "I want it *pause* I got it *pause*", you say "I want it I want it I got it I got it". Then you will see that it is indeed triplets.

AndreasC
Gold Member
same motif, very different pieces
Triplets exist since the beginning of music, probably. It's almost like saying "notes". Triplet flow in rapping doesn't, especially in the style of trap with the rattling hi hats etc.

OCR
Yes, I did think about the similarity in the melody when I first heard the song.

That was all. . . . :smile:

Carry on.

Oh wait !!

Just for fun. . . . :DD

• Haha
Likes Jarvis323, AndreasC and OCR
morrobay
Gold Member
I guess so when stuff like this is top of charts. . Actually it's just as well this cannot be played.

Last edited:
Most of it is in 4/4 but the middle bit is 236/991. I do enjoy a good time change.
I don't know if my math is right, but wouldn't 991th notes sound something like this?

I've been a musician for fifty years. I see human music as clinging to tiny islands in the sea of possibilities.

One day in Oregon I visited a wildlife reserve for migrating birds. The music of blackbirds is most impressive. It isn't a repetitive song, they improvise. They work off one another's song. They don't use human scales or rhythms at all. It is a completely different approach, and to me it sounds great.

So why is contemporary pop music bad? It has nothing to do with the possibilities being exhausted. The laws of combinatorics being what they are, that will never happen. Indeed mostly I listen to 21st century music. But NOT what comes over the radio. Through modern technology I can hear the whole world's music, even what Chinese teenagers are doing in their bedrooms. There is more great music going on than ever before. There are very talented people who don't want the hard life of a pro musician. Now they can play in the bedroom and make their money by endorsing musical instruments.

Western-style classical music is also coming out of the 20th century atonal dead end. I have heard fantastic wild new "classical" stuff at the arts college in Tokyo.

So why isn't it on mass media? It's because in the 1970's music companies did scientific studies of the preferences of ordinary people. They found that ordinary people preferred very simple music. Ordinary people don't sit down and listen to music. They don't give it their full attention. They give it hardly any attention at all. It's "the soundtrack of your life," something that sets a mood but is not a distraction, that does not draw the attention. They prefer routine, uninteresting, unemotional music. It worked: the market for music is bigger than ever. That's fine with me as long as I don't have to listen to it. They also learned that for stardom music hardly matters at all, looks is what does it. The visual sense completely dominates the aural. Good music for your video is a distraction, a drawback, a cost center, a liability.

Artists from the 1960's are selling more today than they did then! So why go to the risk and expense of developing new musical acts? It's a lot more profitable to sell the old stuff.

I have been in Japan for over a year and the musical environment is completely different than in the USA. Simple music is never heard. The background music in supermarkets and restaurants is sometimes so good I stop everything and record it. Musical performances in Tokyo might be the best in the world. It's because it is routine for kids to learn music starting at age three then practice diligently. There are little piano schools everywhere. I have heard middle school bands that were as good as music college bands in the US. This is normal. So there is a pool of millions of highly skilled musicians. Those who turn pro are the cream of this crop. They are at a level of skill that in the West is unthinkable. They have an audience of those millions of skilled musicians, so they can make a living. Another thing: they learn to actually play the stuff, not rely on Pro Tools to fake a recording. Japanese bands are starting to find a well-deserved audience in the West. They have so much skill that they are overcoming the formidable language barrier.

There is plenty of great and original music being played. But you have to go to it. It won't come to you unbidden. When I was in the US there was a summer series of ten concerts in the park. Nine of them were "tribute" bands, whose goal is to copy an act from the past. In Japan there are very few tribute bands. People want new things.

I DID hear some good original music in the USA at festivals and anime conventions. It's still around. But those acts don't make the big time any more. I suppose they have day jobs.

Likes symbolipoint and Jarvis323
I've been a musician for fifty years. I see human music as clinging to tiny islands in the sea of possibilities.

One day in Oregon I visited a wildlife reserve for migrating birds. The music of blackbirds is most impressive. It isn't a repetitive song, they improvise. They work off one another's song. They don't use human scales or rhythms at all. It is a completely different approach, and to me it sounds great.

So why is contemporary pop music bad? It has nothing to do with the possibilities being exhausted. The laws of combinatorics being what they are, that will never happen. Indeed mostly I listen to 21st century music. But NOT what comes over the radio. Through modern technology I can hear the whole world's music, even what Chinese teenagers are doing in their bedrooms. There is more great music going on than ever before. There are very talented people who don't want the hard life of a pro musician. Now they can play in the bedroom and make their money by endorsing musical instruments.

Western-style classical music is also coming out of the 20th century atonal dead end. I have heard fantastic wild new "classical" stuff at the arts college in Tokyo.

So why isn't it on mass media? It's because in the 1970's music companies did scientific studies of the preferences of ordinary people. They found that ordinary people preferred very simple music. Ordinary people don't sit down and listen to music. They don't give it their full attention. They give it hardly any attention at all. It's "the soundtrack of your life," something that sets a mood but is not a distraction, that does not draw the attention. They prefer routine, uninteresting, unemotional music. It worked: the market for music is bigger than ever. That's fine with me as long as I don't have to listen to it. They also learned that for stardom music hardly matters at all, looks is what does it. The visual sense completely dominates the aural. Good music for your video is a distraction, a drawback, a cost center, a liability.

Artists from the 1960's are selling more today than they did then! So why go to the risk and expense of developing new musical acts? It's a lot more profitable to sell the old stuff.

I have been in Japan for over a year and the musical environment is completely different than in the USA. Simple music is never heard. The background music in supermarkets and restaurants is sometimes so good I stop everything and record it. Musical performances in Tokyo might be the best in the world. It's because it is routine for kids to learn music starting at age three then practice diligently. There are little piano schools everywhere. I have heard middle school bands that were as good as music college bands in the US. This is normal. So there is a pool of millions of highly skilled musicians. Those who turn pro are the cream of this crop. They are at a level of skill that in the West is unthinkable. They have an audience of those millions of skilled musicians, so they can make a living. Another thing: they learn to actually play the stuff, not rely on Pro Tools to fake a recording. Japanese bands are starting to find a well-deserved audience in the West. They have so much skill that they are overcoming the formidable language barrier.

There is plenty of great and original music being played. But you have to go to it. It won't come to you unbidden. When I was in the US there was a summer series of ten concerts in the park. Nine of them were "tribute" bands, whose goal is to copy an act from the past. In Japan there are very few tribute bands. People want new things.

I DID hear some good original music in the USA at festivals and anime conventions. It's still around. But those acts don't make the big time any more. I suppose they have day jobs.
One time I was playing guitar outside and I tried to play to/with the sounds the birds were making and as close to the same key as possible. It might have been just in my head, but it seemed like they were responding/playing along with the guitar as well, and it was actually a pretty good sound.

DennisN
2020 Award
I see human music as clinging to tiny islands in the sea of possibilities.
I agree.
The music of blackbirds is most impressive.
I agree. And I think it is very beautiful.

I agree.

I agree. And I think it is very beautiful.
Kate Bush recorded a duet with a blackbird. Eric Dolphy was largely inspired by the music of birds.

On Youtube is a parrot who sings human pop music. Can't do the lyrics and doesn't stick close to the original melody but is on the beat and in tune.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Click Please. Universal.

morrobay
Gold Member
Indeed the Japanese are savvy to U.S soul music

BWV

Western-style classical music is also coming out of the 20th century atonal dead end.

atonal music was not a dead end, it’s great stuff - particularly if it includes blackbird song

• Skeptical
Likes symbolipoint and Jarvis323
morrobay
Gold Member

Likes pinball1970
morrobay
Gold Member

Likes pinball1970