Has anyone bought an Extreme Power Saver?

• Thread starter dipungal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, this product is a scam because there is no information on the product and it's not actually effective.
dipungal
I'm planning to buy an "extremepower saver" but I'm wondering if it's really effective? It claims that said device saves 35% electricity.

Please share your thouhgts or experiences.

Physics news on Phys.org
We're not mind readers here, what are you even talking about? A link would be extremely helpful.

Pengwuino said:
A link would be extremely helpful.
http://teeemoy.com/tech/save-electricity-with-extreme-power-saver/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is the technology I think it is, it's a total scam.
In the 70's, a circuit came out of NASA to decrease the waste heat on grossly oversized motors. It found an application in the clothes industry, where the motors ran constantly, but the load was only occassional. Ta-da, the 30%+ myth was born.

The circuit kept being "reinvented" with microprocessors, etc. Of course the inventors would present this miricle technology to the appliance manufacturers (to managament, of course), and as a young engineer, I got my turn to test it and demonstrate that contrary to the invenor's opinion, it substantially degraded to performance of any near optimal design.

Funny enough, we kept a file on these attempts over the years. It had all the test results and consistent failures.

PS, what's in the box? Well, it's usually been a light dimmer circuit with some means to control the phase angle that it switches on.

Mike

There is no information on the product at that link! You can't even buy it there. So in truth it's impossible to comment on it one way or another.

However I recommend you read up on "Power factor correction" just in case that's how they claim it works. You also need to check how your electricity meter works because in many countries there is no cost penalty if appliances in your home have a poor factor. So improving the power factor won't save any money.

Power factor correction is only an issue for factories and offices that consume a lot of power and are fitted with meters that penalise you if you have a poor power factor.

See also...
http://open4energy.com/forum/home/scam/power_factor_correction

1. What is an Extreme Power Saver?

An Extreme Power Saver is a device that claims to reduce energy consumption and save money on electricity bills by optimizing the flow of electricity and reducing voltage spikes.

2. How does the Extreme Power Saver work?

The device is plugged into an outlet and uses capacitors to store and release excess energy, resulting in a more stable flow of electricity and reduced voltage spikes. This is said to lead to a more efficient use of energy and cost savings.

3. Is the Extreme Power Saver effective?

There is limited scientific evidence to support the claims of the Extreme Power Saver. Some studies have shown a small decrease in energy consumption, but the results are not consistent. Additionally, the device may not be compatible with all electrical systems and could potentially cause damage.

4. Has anyone bought the Extreme Power Saver?

There are many reviews and testimonials from people who have purchased the Extreme Power Saver. However, it is important to note that these are not scientifically proven results and may be influenced by personal biases or other factors.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using the Extreme Power Saver?

Some experts have raised concerns about the safety and effectiveness of the Extreme Power Saver. There have been reports of the device causing electrical fires and damaging appliances. Additionally, the cost of the device may not outweigh any potential energy savings.