• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Studying Has anyone ever died from studying to much?

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
lol i had to work 37 hours a week for the whole semester to make the amount needed so that way i wouldn't have any debt and pay for all next semester without taking out loans on top of what i got from my parents and it was miserable working so much and doing 19 credits =/ but it kept me out of my room and studying to much lol.

also your a grad student now? should you just go to grad school right away or find work first and find a company that will pay for your masters?
I am not aware of any company that is willing to pay for masters in pure mathematics, I grade students' HW and get some money from it, and tuition fee waiver.

I still live with my parents though, ah what a life. (to tell you the truth, though they frequently make some noise, I think it's better to live with someone and not by myself, being alone can be depressing at times).

Well, people get exhausted from studying continuously, which can eventually lead to death. It is indeed very rare for someone to reach this point of exhaustion, but it happens. Isaac Newton supposedly was able to study/work 16~18 hours per day and sleep for 3~4 hours. He didn't die due to all this time studying/working, but he has suffered from some mental breakdowns, so it does have consequences.

i think one would have to resort to caffeine pills to do that. I think CVS has them for like 8 bucks for a thing of 80. You can take them every 5-6 hours and it'll keep you from sleeping

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
Well, people get exhausted from studying continuously, which can eventually lead to death. It is indeed very rare for someone to reach this point of exhaustion, but it happens. Isaac Newton supposedly was able to study/work 16~18 hours per day and sleep for 3~4 hours. He didn't die due to all this time studying/working, but he has suffered from some mental breakdowns, so it does have consequences.
No surprise that he didn't get marry. :-)

I think many of his mental breakdowns also have to do with the fact that he had a big amount of mercury into his blood, thanks to his experiments in alchemy.

I think many of his mental breakdowns also have to do with the fact that he had a big amount of mercury into his blood, thanks to his experiments in alchemy.
Yeah, but you don't think his profound discoveries had anything to do his obsession with studying, do you?

I mean, he was downright genius, so probably the extra hours he spent at his desk were spent in futile, becuase research has shown productivity decreases if you study more than five hours, so you don't accomplish much, right?

Yeah, but you don't think his profound discoveries had anything to do his obsession with studying, do you?

I mean, he was downright genius, so probably the extra hours he spent at his desk were spent in futile, becuase research has shown productivity decreases if you study more than five hours, so you don't accomplish much, right?
Research on what sample of persons? Likely not a bunch of Newtons...

We also don't know whether Newton sat at his desk for 16-18 hours straight. Maybe he took tea breaks or the 16-18 hours included the time he spent thinking about this work. At any rate, maybe his productivity didn't decrease too much...

turbo

Gold Member
I died from studying too much. OK, I'm not dead yet, but I will die soon.

"Bring out your dead!" Too much studying! I can't die yet, though. More studying to do... :tongue: