Maximize Success in Independent Study Calculus: Tips from Experienced Students

In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of taking an independent study calculus course through a university in Utah. The speaker expresses missing having an instructor but enjoys being able to focus on their weaker areas. They also mention wanting a study group but have been unable to find one. The topic of exams in the independent study course compared to traditional class exams is also brought up. Another speaker shares their experience with a different independent study course and suggests using the opportunity to explore personal interests. The conversation ends with the importance of being self-motivated and independent for future success.
rebeccacats
Has anyone been through independent study calculus course ( DE through a university out of Utah)? I really miss the aspect of having an instructor but I do enjoy being able to focus on the aspects that I am not great at while passing over things that I've already learned. I would really like to have a small study group but can't seem to find out who is enrolled in the course much less going at the same pace as I am. Has anyone gotten through this type of course? Were the exams anything like the the traditional class exams? I have found a few differences in the independent study exam review vs the seated midterm exams.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've taken an independent study, but in aerodynamics. These types of courses are highly self motivated, you won't find a "study group" because most people aren't very curious/want to just get by. I'd suggest taking the opportunity to explore a personal interest and applying what you've learned to a large project. Pick something that will help you achieve your long term goals too.

For example, I just did another IS on wind energy. I set my own deadline of December first to develope a research report. The final copy was finished mid December and was roughly 17 pages long with 25 references. I'm now modifying it so it can be used to write a research grant for a PhD program.

Thanks for the advice. I plan on completing the course a few weeks ahead of the seated course,and so far I am on schedule so I don't think I have a problem with meeting my deadlines. I am just worried about not being able to rely on my normal methods of bugging the teacher with incessant questions until I feel confident enough to take the exam. I really wish I knew someone who had taken this specific IS course to get their opinion on what topics were most important for each test but I guess this is the tradeoff...

You are better off being independent. At some point in time you'll come across a problem where you can't run and get help. The more independent you are the more potential you have to go farther in your career.

I can understand the challenges and benefits of independent study in a subject like calculus. It can be difficult to find a study group or have the guidance of an instructor, but it also allows for a personalized and focused approach to learning. I have not personally taken a DE course through a university in Utah, but I have worked with students who have successfully completed independent study courses in various subjects.

From my experience, I have found that organization and self-motivation are key factors in succeeding in independent study. It is important to set a schedule and stick to it, making sure to cover all the necessary material and leaving enough time for review and practice. It may also be helpful to reach out to other students in the course, either through online forums or by contacting the instructor to see if they can connect you with other students at a similar pace.

In terms of exams, it is possible that the independent study exams may have some differences from traditional class exams. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as the format of the course or the level of difficulty. It may be helpful to review past exams and practice problems to get a better idea of what to expect on the exams.

Overall, while there may be some challenges in independent study, it can also be a rewarding and effective way to learn. I would encourage you to stay organized, reach out to others for support, and make use of available resources such as past exams and practice problems. With dedication and hard work, I have no doubt that you can successfully complete your independent study calculus course.

1. What is the purpose of independent study?

The purpose of independent study is to allow students to pursue a topic of interest in depth and at their own pace. It also helps students develop critical thinking, time management, and self-motivation skills.

2. How do I choose a topic for independent study?

The topic for independent study should align with your academic interests and goals. It can be a continuation of a course you have taken or a new topic that you are curious about. Consult with your advisor or instructor for guidance and suggestions.

3. Can I receive credit for independent study?

Yes, most universities offer credit for independent study. The number of credits may vary depending on the amount of work and the level of depth in the study. Consult with your academic advisor or department for specific requirements.

4. How do I structure my independent study?

The structure of your independent study will depend on your topic and goals. You can start by creating a timeline and setting goals for each week or month. It is also helpful to create a research question or hypothesis to guide your study. Be sure to regularly check in with your advisor or instructor for feedback and guidance.

5. What resources are available for independent study?

There are many resources available for independent study, including books, scholarly articles, online databases, and academic journals. Your university's library and writing center are also great resources for research and writing support. Additionally, your advisor or instructor may have specific resources or materials for your topic of study.