Has anyone ever done this experiment before? quantum entanglement

In summary: The experiment being proposed on the International Space Station is using photons, not electrons. The OP's original idea was to use electrons, which is why I brought up the difficulties with that approach.As for the OP's latest suggestion, I'm not sure what they are proposing. The Bell test experiment has already been performed with photons, and it has been shown that entanglement violates local realism. I'm not sure what the point of doing a similar experiment with photons and a telescope would be, since we already know the result.
billllib
enangle 2 electrons. Capture 1 electron by using this method http://news.discovery.com/tech/photo-first-lights-captured-as-both-particle-and-wave-150302.htm. Send an electron from Earth to the moon. Have an detector on the moon that measure a property of entanglement and same with on earth. View the entangled particle first on earth. Repeat the experiment view the other detector first would this change the results? Has anyone ever done this before? ( my point is the past can affect the future similar to viewing the sun from a telescope.) Or am i wrong and this is what entanglement is and just proves entanglement is weird?

Physics news on Phys.org
billllib said:
Send an electron from Earth to the moon.

Among other issues with this idea, you really can't do that. Interactions with the environment (scattering) would quickly take your electron out of the pure state.

Also, this wouldn't show anything other experiments haven't done before.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
Nobody will do an entanglement experiment sending something to the moon. You can do the same experiment here on Earth, in a lab, sending a particle to the other side of the lab table and test the same physics.

StevieTNZ said:

But this is an experiment using entangled photons, not the electrons that is in the OP. There is a reason why closing the locality loophole for electrons is more difficult than with photons. Electrons are easily affected by stray fields, and maintaining coherence from here to the moon is practically impossible.

Zz.

Do a similar experiment with photons. Use a telescope and capture 1 of the photon assuming possible. View the photon 1 light minute away then quickly view the photon right beside the experiment. This takes 1 minute for the signal to go back to the original photon. Would this not prove ftl or something even stranger?

Or is this already been proven with quantum entanglement?

How was quantum entanglement proven?

billllib said:
Do a similar experiment with photons. Use a telescope and capture 1 of the photon assuming possible. View the photon 1 light minute away then quickly view the photon right beside the experiment. This takes 1 minute for the signal to go back to the original photon. Would this not prove ftl or something even stranger?

There's no reason you have to do that. You can do this experiment just as well going from one side of a lab to another. The speed of light isn't that fast in the scheme of the kind of time intervals that can be measured if you're clever.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to show here, and I'm not sure what you mean by "proven" in this context. Entanglement is something that has been measured countless times in labs. You can even buy kits off-the-shelf for undergraduate physics labs. http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/do-it-yourself-quantum-spooky-action/[/PLAIN]

ETA: You should read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_test_experiments

Last edited by a moderator:
billllib said:

You seem to be ignoring the responses given to you. There are ALREADY experiments with photons that showed the non-locality of this phenomenon. These were done over several kilometers.

So to repeat what e.bar.goum had asked you, what exactly are you trying to measure and show here? What would the extra long distance show that previous experiments can't or hadn't? No one is going to do any experiments when there is no or very little knowledge can be gained from it when compared to previously-done experiments. You haven't shown why experiments that had been done already can't already address the same thing.

Try not to ignore this question. Otherwise, your "experiment" has no merit.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But this is an experiment using entangled photons, not the electrons that is in the OP. There is a reason why closing the locality loophole for electrons is more difficult than with photons. Electrons are easily affected by stray fields, and maintaining coherence from here to the moon is practically impossible.

Zz.
Oh darn! Thanks for pointing that out -- I must have had a brain fade when I forgot the OP was talking about electrons rather than photons.

StevieTNZ said:
Oh darn! Thanks for pointing that out -- I must have had a brain fade when I forgot the OP was talking about electrons rather than photons.

It doesn't matter now, because the OP has switched to photons. Sometime in threads like this, I feel as if things are being made up as we go along.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It doesn't matter now, because the OP has switched to photons. Sometime in threads like this, I feel as if things are being made up as we go along.

Zz.
Yes, but you only feel that way because it's true.

Sorry should have read more carefully.
Thanks for the responses.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even at great distances.

2. Has quantum entanglement been experimentally proven?

Yes, quantum entanglement has been experimentally proven through numerous experiments, including the famous Bell test experiments. These experiments have consistently shown that the predictions of quantum mechanics hold true for entangled particles.

3. How is quantum entanglement used in experiments?

Quantum entanglement is used in a variety of experiments, including those related to quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It is also being studied for potential applications in communication and sensing technologies.

4. Has anyone ever done an experiment specifically on quantum entanglement?

Yes, there have been countless experiments specifically focused on quantum entanglement. The field of quantum optics, in particular, has seen numerous experiments exploring the properties and potential applications of entanglement.

5. What are the implications of quantum entanglement for our understanding of the universe?

Quantum entanglement has profound implications for our understanding of the universe. It challenges our traditional understanding of causality and locality, and has led to new theories and interpretations of quantum mechanics. It also has the potential to revolutionize our technology and lead to new advancements in fields such as computing and communication.