1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has anyone heard of Computational Science?

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    Hello all,

Has anyone majored in or heard of Computational Science? If so what is about and how is the job market for it upon graduation.

Thanks

EG

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2
    Is it the same thing as Scientific Computation ?
    if they are the same then yes, I have heard about this.
    NYU is offering a MS in Scientific Computation.
    I am trying to get into MFE. if I'm unsuccessful, I'll try my luck with Computational Science.
    I think with MS SC, you can enter lots of fields.
    First, you can enter the financial market, you can be an IT guy or something in the quantitative teams.
    I'm sure you can enter lots of other fields with this degree.
    I even think that you can be a programmer and be treated as if you had a degree in computer science.

here is the website:

http://www.math.nyu.edu/degree/ms/scicomputing.html

looks like these dudes do lots of numerical analysis...

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3

eri

Maryland has a program in Computational Physics. A friend of mine was in the program working with Fermi Lab and the LHC. It sounded pretty cool.

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4
    You can think of computational science as an alternative to experiment in answering scientific/engineering questions. In lot of cases, experimentation would be prohibitively expensive, and you would use computation/simulation to try to get some idea and make some better choices before you do expensive experiments or prototyping.

It is a very broad field, you can do computational science in physics, chemistry, engineering, biology.... the job market depends on what field you choose, and what kind of job (industry/research/academia) you want.

In US, the Department of Energy sponsors a fellowship program DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship. Take a look at that. (http://www2.krellinst.org/csgf/index.shtml [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Feb 25, 2010 #5
    Personally, I think you'd have a much easier time getting a job if you skipped the MFE degree and did the masters in computational science. You'll need both finance and computer skills, but it's easier to pick up the finance via self-study than the computer skills.

[QUOTE[I think with MS SC, you can enter lots of fields.[/QUOTE]

Looking over the degree, one thing that could get you in trouble is if you don't do programming on your own. The courses look pretty decent as for as giving you theory, but if you just know theory, and don't try to code some things on your own, it's going to cause problems.

7. Feb 25, 2010 #6
    This site doesn't seem to dissapoint. Thanks for the info chingkui.
    Look forward to some more responses.

EG

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook