Has anyone heard of P and M notation?

• Thread starter chem_tr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the molecule is a biphenyl with two nitro groups on each benzo unit, along with two carboxylic acid moieties on each ring. The molecule is in two isomers as P and M. The P isomer has an axis of chirality, while the M isomer does not. The P and M are like S and R in assigning the handedness of a chiral carbon center. The P and M are like C and D in that they are the mirror image of each other. The system is used in chiral molecules with no asymmetric atom.
chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Has anyone heard of P and M notation?

Hello,

A friend of mine has asked a question about a molecule, we think the molecule was a biphenyl molecule with two nitro groups on each benzo unit, along with two carboxylic acid moieties on each ring. So the molecule was shown to be in two isomers as P and M. Do you have any knowledge about P and M type isomers?

PS: We know that two phenyl units are placed perpendicular to each other.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
These molecules have an axis of chirality, that is, they are chiral without having any asymmetric carbon atoms. The P and M are like S and R in assigning the handedness of a chiral carbon center.

To assign one the handedness, look down the chiral axis so that the two pairs of substituents are perpendicular to one another. Assign each group a priority number, just as you would with a chirality center, but assign all of the groups in front before any of the ones in the back. Once you get used to it, you can assign the handedness now, but I often find it easier to treat the structure like it was a center of chirality. To do this, do just like you would otherwise and place the lowest priority group in the back of the structure and rotate from priority 1 to 2 to 3. Make sure you keep the priority assignments correct! M and P correspond to clockwise and anti-clockwise ordering of the groups, respectively (just like R and S).

Attachments

• biaryl.gif
    biaryl.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 481
Is this part of the Kahn-Ingold-Prelog system?

Thank you very much. I constantly learn a great deal of knowledge from you. It is very good thing to have you here.

To tritertbutoxy: As I understood from Movies' message, it works similar to CIP system; but with one exception: This system is used in chiral molecules with no asymmetric atom. This is possible in biphenyl, binaphthyl, etc. As to the designations, I am still inexperienced, so let's just read Movies' message.

Last edited:
Yes, this is covered by the C-I-P system. See this paper and the references theirin: Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. Engl. 1982, 21, 567-583.

Chem_tr: It's my pleasure to help you, and others, out. The questions here cause me to learn new things!

1. What is P and M notation?

P and M notation is a scientific notation system used to represent very large or very small numbers. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and astronomy.

2. How does P and M notation work?

P and M notation uses powers of 10 to represent numbers. The letter P stands for "positive" and the letter M stands for "negative". For example, 1.2 x 103 would be written as 1.2P3, and 3.5 x 10-4 would be written as 3.5M4.

3. Why is P and M notation used?

P and M notation is used because it allows scientists to easily represent numbers that are extremely large or small. It also makes it easier to perform calculations with these numbers.

4. Is P and M notation the same as scientific notation?

Yes, P and M notation is another term for scientific notation. However, P and M notation specifically refers to the use of the letters P and M to represent positive and negative powers of 10.

5. How do I convert a number to P and M notation?

To convert a number to P and M notation, move the decimal point to the left or right until there is only one digit to the left of the decimal point. The number of places you moved the decimal point will be the power of 10 used in the notation. If you moved the decimal to the left, the power will be positive (P), and if you moved it to the right, the power will be negative (M).